Thread: Long Beach Grand Prix

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar

Long Beach Grand Prix

Went to the Grand Prix today. The final practice laps for all classes including the Indy Series leading up to this weekends final. I donít have enough words in my vocabulary to describe what itís like to watch these miracle Indy machines and miraculous drivers buzz past you a 200 mph heading into a hairpin turn. I mean...I just instinctually began to laugh and clap at the same time. Like a child. INSANELY wonderful. My ears are still ringing and I have a bit of a headache from the sensory overload.

Hereís a side note that might interest some. The single predominant smell track side during the running was Motul. More than rubber, more than gas.

What a spectacular day down in Long Beach.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was at the LBGP many years ago, back in the days of Mario and son, Paul Tracy etc. Quite the spectacle.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I was at the LBGP many years ago, back in the days of Mario and son, Paul Tracy etc. Quite the spectacle.
    I met Mario yesterday. I had a paddock pass and I went pretty early in the day. Suddenly there he was. Riding a pit bike and in full racing suit. He had to wait for the gate to open so I had time to reach out and shake his hand. Funny thing is he was largely unrecognized. I snapped a pic standing with a friend of mine. When I sort through the 1000ís of photos from yesterday Iíll post.

I had the luxury in the late 2000s to live in Indy and have a lot of mutual friends that were part of Indycar. I fell in love immediately. (the perks helped). To this day I watch almost every race. Great you got to experience it. If you haven't yet, put the 500 on your bucket list. It is something very special !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jnicks01 View Post
    I had the luxury in the late 2000s to live in Indy and have a lot of mutual friends that were part of Indycar. I fell in love immediately. (the perks helped). To this day I watch almost every race. Great you got to experience it. If you haven't yet, put the 500 on your bucket list. It is something very special !!!
    Ah yes indeed. I grew up in Cincinnati Ohio. My Uncle Ed and my father used to take us every year. We’d either go for the Time Trials or the race itself. Embarrassingly this is back in the day where Indianapolis was mostly corn fields As I mentioned I happened upon Mario Andretti Friday morning and it was a ginormous kick in the pants to actually meet him eye to eye. I’ve followed Cart/Indy Series since as well. I follow F1, MotoGp and The UK bike racing circuit (Isle of Man) as well. I’ve also recently got into following the IMSA Weathertech series and actually got to see that race yesterday. I think this Tristan Nunez will be the next to emerge as a bonified Indy graduate.

Like I was saying......sooooo much good stuff in one place. Long Beach Grand Prix!