Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you "keep" in your luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    Something a bit different is I am planning to ride the Mojave Road (Laughlin to Barstow ) next year. ~ 170+ mile off-road adventure ride (when side rides are added in). On the one hand given the obstacles I want to stay light ... OTOH I want to be sure to have what I need since we are talking about overnighting in the desert ...
    I've been thru Laughlin, in the summer, a couple of times (not on a motorcycle). BRUTAL!!! Not only was it extremely hot, but the wind definitely had the opposite effect as wind chill. More like a convection oven!

Quote Originally Posted by CountofQ View Post
    I've been thru Laughlin, in the summer, a couple of times (not on a motorcycle). BRUTAL!!! Not only was it extremely hot, but the wind definitely had the opposite effect as wind chill. More like a convection oven!
    It will probably be late February- early March, though the trade-off is it's pretty darn cool at night. The other positive is it's the "rainy season" which will help "firm" up the sand ... but that's all pretty relative.

170 miles off-road is quite a different thing than on-road with a different set of concerns. Even 20 mph is pretty fast over some of the terrain. And what gear you have takes on a bigger importance ... because you are literally on your own. A light bike is far easier to handle in the gnarl ... but ... if you have a flat ... you better be prepared to change a tube . Balance ... that elusive state ..

I will add I once followed a thread on a BMW motorcycle forum on "must haves" on the road. All the items mentioned would have taxed a half ton pickup ...

One last point. Sometimes a short ride ends up not so short. Last week the Gigi and I rode out 20 miles for lunch. After lunch it was decided we should go see Parker Dam. A one hour ride turned into 3+ and I would have paid retail to have my Camelbak with me ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    A tire repair kit. Tools necessary to use such kit. Zip ties. 3' or so of wire. Pencil type tire gauge.
    If I have bags attached, water is next, along with something to eat that won't melt and that can sit for months.

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    It will probably be late February- early March, though the trade-off is it's pretty darn cool at night. The other positive is it's the "rainy season" which will help "firm" up the sand ... but that's all pretty relative.

170 miles off-road is quite a different thing than on-road with a different set of concerns. Even 20 mph is pretty fast over some of the terrain. And what gear you have takes on a bigger importance ... because you are literally on your own. A light bike is far easier to handle in the gnarl ... but ... if you have a flat ... you better be prepared to change a tube . Balance ... that elusive state ..

I will add I once followed a thread on a BMW motorcycle forum on "must haves" on the road. All the items mentioned would have taxed a half ton pickup ...

One last point. Sometimes a short ride ends up not so short. Last week the Gigi and I rode out 20 miles for lunch. After lunch it was decided we should go see Parker Dam. A one hour ride turned into 3+ and I would have paid retail to have my Camelbak with me ...
    Some rough country out by Laughlin. Went on a family trip (March) for a Reba concert, brought side by side with us. Never took it off the darn trailer because a. it was hot and b. craggy rock.

OP: everyone has covered most everything I have in my luggage/gear. I do have some baby wipes, too, in my Strom. They are leftover from a longer trip but I like having them on the bike. Never know when you need 'em. I need to go through the topcase as there is still some stuff in there from a motocamping trip that I really don't need to be toting around with me on my trips back and forth to work. Although, I did find an unopened snack bag of peanuts in there recently that came in handy.

I rode the lil CBR today. There is nothing in that tailbag until I throw my phone and house keys in there. (110 mile ride today.)
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

RiderCoach 1000 Posts! lionlady's Avatar
    Tank bag: Flashlight. "Other" (clear or tinted) face shield. Face shield cleaning kit. Leatherman. Wine/bottle opener. Hat. Reading glasses. Spare Buff head scarf. Spare earplugs. Lock and cable for helmet/gear. Little first aid/personal care kit with bandaids, wipes, nail clippers, aspirin, Silicone repair tape. Pressure gauge.

Side case: Tire repair kit & compressor, raingear, extra layer, emergency flasher (battery operated).
    If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be. -Maya Angelou