Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Get Your Game Face On

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    My worst ever crash was in a car so I really messed up their statistics. although that was before seat belts so it really was a lot more like a motorcycle accident then a car accident I must have got some really good big air time before the left side of my face finally collided with the pavement. But it's ok n,n,n,n,n,ow I'm jus fine.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    I can't help but point out that by definition a "short trip" will always involve being a short time and distance from your trip origin.

Tom
    Point 12 does say VERY short time close to the origin. In my case, I could see myself pulling out of the neighborhood without having fully engaged into riding mode and not be ready to deal with something unexpected. The lesson I take from this is to take a moment to gather my thoughts and focus.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Most injuries happen close to home because that's where you do most of your [insert activity here].
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    “12. Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen in very short time close to the trip origin.”

Unfortunately they don’t tell us if ‘short trip’ accidents are more common because short trips are more dangerous or simply because most trips are short trips. I have heard the latter is true for car accidents but haven’t seen the data to support it.

I’d like to see a chart of something like average accidents per mile plotted against trip length.
    It was both. Short trips ARE more common. Also, we are less likely to physically, and more important, mentally, prepare for short, routine, trips.

What was your last motorcycle related injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    What was your last motorcycle related injury?
    about 3 am summer of 1979 on my way home from work - dumped on sand in road work - minor road rash hands, elbow, hip, knee crashed wearing jeans and jean jacket, no gloves, open face helmet. Riding too fast and made a poor decision. Sand caused the crash but also made the road rash less severe than it would other wise have been.

About a mile from my house, but not near the beginning of the trip. I was on my way home so it was near the end of the trip.

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Point 12 does say VERY short time close to the origin. In my case, I could see myself pulling out of the neighborhood without having fully engaged into riding mode and not be ready to deal with something unexpected. The lesson I take from this is to take a moment to gather my thoughts and focus.
    I don't dispute the validity, it's just a pet peeve of mine the way statistics are often presented. I'd have preferred x% within y miles.
    They did a similar thing with the 95% having no formal training. That number is meaningless unless you also know what % of all riders had no formal training.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

No gloves! ooooooo that really hurts & if you don't tuck and roll
    didn't your mom tell you gloves are every bit as important as a helmet.

I have a way cool recent injury; in October I got a black eye (and possibly chipped cheekbone) off of Jordan Szoke's front forks I should have had him autograph it.
    Before that would be both wrists at last years nationals that one still hurts when I do this! Ouch! see that hurts! I've learned not to bend them that way when I ride.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are lots of problems with our transportation statistics, as you point out.

Death rates per million miles - how many miles are actually ridden/driven each year? Everything is an estimate, because we are not required to tell the government how much we drive. So those statistics are guesses, based on surveys of willing participants and computing an estimated average MPG vs. taxes collected on fuel. It could be spot-on, or it could be off by 50% either way, and there is no way to prove any value.

Death rates per 100K drivers/riders - how many drivers/riders are active? Licenses don't give a true number, as a lot of people have licenses they do not use, and a "significant" population actively drive/ride without them.

Trained/untrained - in many states, it's not possible to give those numbers. Illinois keeps training statistics in one department (IDOT) and license information in another (Secretary of State), and there is no mechanism (legally) for them to cross reference each other. And IDOT only tracks training done through the state program, not that which is done by private companies.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Statistics are never as meaningful as we would like them to be. Sometimes they are presented in intentionally misleading ways to support an agenda. That annoys me. I think this data is presented in a way that is intended to be as helpful as possible given the limitations of the data available.

It is plausible and makes sense to me that accident risk is greater at the beginning of rides since many people have other things on their minds when they hop on the bike and may not be as prepared to deal with a hazard as they might be later in their ride. Although it is also plausible to me that late in long rides could also be higher risk due to fatigue.

I know for me, I have had experiences when I have not had my head fully engaged when I pulled out of my neighborhood. So I take some value from this regardless of the statistical validity.