Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get Your Game Face On

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Get Your Game Face On

I was looking at the 55 findings of the Hurt Report yesterday and there is a lot of good stuff in there. See link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...he_Hurt_Report

I am sure all this has been discussed repeatedly here, but here are some thoughts anyway.

Finding #12 jumped out at me when it said "accident is likely to happen in very short time close to the trip origin." I definitely think that is important for me to remember. It sometimes takes me a bit to get my mind right for riding. I could very easily see myself making a costly mistake early in my ride. AtomicAlex has a list of reminder taped to her gas tank. I think I am going to come up with a list of reminders that are important for me to remember.

One that I have been focusing on lately is "textbook" braking - both brakes, downshifting as I go, left foot down at stop, in first gear, ready to go. I have found that doing that has helped me with my braking consistency and feel and it has flowed through the rest of my ride.

AZridered said in a post one time that he like to practice really precise riding on the road. I like that. Try not to get lazy. Keep it interesting by being as precise as possible.

Perhaps that will be the start of my list; text book braking and precise riding.

Finding #25 was also interesting in that riders had less than 5 months experience on the particular bike involved in the accident even though 3 years total riding experience. Something for me to think about in switching among several bikes. Maybe come up with a custom list of reminders for each bike. I already have one for the Harley "take it easy!"

Lots of good stuff in a nice easy summary.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    “12. Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen in very short time close to the trip origin.”

Unfortunately they don’t tell us if ‘short trip’ accidents are more common because short trips are more dangerous or simply because most trips are short trips. I have heard the latter is true for car accidents but haven’t seen the data to support it.

I’d like to see a chart of something like average accidents per mile plotted against trip length.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Also from finding 25, “Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data.”

All that crashing is good for you.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Yes, dirt bike riding has got to be great experience. I should do more of it.

The part of 12 I found interesting was "near point of origin". For me, that is about being fully focused from the beginning.

The question about accident rates per mile plotted against length of trip is a good question. I would expect accident rates per mile to go down for longer trips due to getting warmed up. Although that could be countered by getting into unfamiliar areas. Then again, familiarity sometimes breeds complacency.

All data is subject to debate. None is absolute. Always good to associate data with a rationale.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    All that crashing is good for you.
    Makes you stronger
    ... teaches you don't crash it hurts.

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    “12. Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen in very short time close to the trip origin.”

Unfortunately they don’t tell us if ‘short trip’ accidents are more common because short trips are more dangerous or simply because most trips are short trips. I have heard the latter is true for car accidents but haven’t seen the data to support it.

I’d like to see a chart of something like average accidents per mile plotted against trip length.
    I have absolutely zero empirical data here but my strong suspicion is the short trip scenario probably has a strong component of "lack of concentration". Years ago when I first started riding a friend noticed I wore shorts coming back on my motorcycle. He admonished me of course. My reply was "I just rode up to the store". His reply? "Concrete doesn't get softer just because you're just going' to the store".

Stuck with me

Dirt biking at the very least gives you some reflexes to trust in when things do get sideways on the street.
    Helps you identify your weaknesses and strong points real fast too.

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Dirt biking at the very least gives you some reflexes to trust in when things do get sideways on the street.
    Helps you identify your weaknesses and strong points real fast too.
    Works well for Rossi! That is until he breaks his leg before the seasons over doing' it

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    I can't help but point out that by definition a "short trip" will always involve being a short time and distance from your trip origin.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    Works well for Rossi! That is until he breaks his leg before the seasons over doing' it
    Doesn't count if it never stops you from riding shake it off and get back on that thing.