Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Harley Davidson Softail

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post

Yesterday and this afternoon, I ran errands on the Harley and took the long way home both times. I get on it and I don't want to get off. Something about it I just like.
    I think this speaks volumes ... go with what winds your clock. There are all kinds of good reasons my 1929 designed biplane is an anachronism ... but I love flinging it thru the air ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Most motorcycle riders do not have the skills to appreciate handling at the level OBX does. I don't have the skills and they way I ride does not require performance handling.
    I think the opposite is true - better riders are able to easier compensate for the deficiencies of poor handling motorcycles.

My buddy on his Springer kicks my ass on my Diavel, but he's like semi-pro racer. I would just kill myself if I tried to do any spirited riding on his bike.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    I think the opposite is true - better riders are able to easier compensate for the deficiencies of poor handling motorcycles.
    That is a good point. I ride my Harley more cautiously and I can get myself into trouble if I try to ride my Harley like I ride my other bikes.

My other bikes are capable of being ridden well beyond what I am capable of. But I suppose that is true of any bike. I guess my perspective is that higher performance bikes were designed to be ridden beyond my skill level. The Harley was designed to be ridden more like I ride. I only get in trouble on the Harley if I try to ride it in a way it was not designed to be ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    There are all kinds of good reasons my 1929 designed biplane is an anachronism ... but I love flinging it thru the air ...
    That is a perfect analogy

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Do the pre-existing softail models have new designations? I.e. the Fat Boy is no longer a FLSTF but something else?
    Lots of little changes. For one, I just walked through the dealership and noted that I cannot find any reference to the alpha designations. Even the handlebar tags from H-D have dropped the code. For what it is worth, FX appears to be gone and FL remains, but the ST seems to have disappeared as far as I have seen. For instance, the Fat Boy is now FLFB or FLFBS. I can do some more checking.
    Last edited by AZridered; 03-15-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Yesterday and this afternoon, I ran errands on the Harley and took the long way home both times. I get on it and I don't want to get off. Something about it I just like.
    The only way to really know is to take a new Softail for a test ride. You might like it, you might not. For a few years prior to purchasing my Buell, I was certain that my next bike was going to be a R-GS BMW. Then I rode one. I really wanted to like it and test rode the GS several more times. It just did not work out. Oddly, prior to riding the Buell, I had not seriously considered the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    For what it is worth, FX appears to be gone and FL remains, but the ST seems to have disappeared as far as I have seen. For instance, the Fat Boy is now FLFB or FLFBS. I can do some more checking.
    More checking later.... There are still FX models. Basically, if the model name comes from a Dyna, the code is still FX. If the model name comes from a Softail, the code is FL. Lowrider, Fat Bob, Street Bob, and Breakout use FX and retain some Dyna styling. The Deluxe, Heritage, Fat Boys (there are 4) and Softail all start with FL. None contain ST at all.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The irony there is the first Softail models were designated FXST. If I remember correctly, the first Softail debuted with the first EVO motor sporting a four speed Shovel-era tranny.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

A softail that handles a little better than mine and has some luggage might be just the ticket for me. But BMWs have some appeal as well. Although I have never ridden one.

I have always wanted a BMW boxer. I do not know why.