Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten Hours

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ten Hours

That's how much time it takes for a facebook poster to decide on a new bike for his first time rider S/O.

The choice was between a 750 Shadow and a 250 Rebel at one of the groups.

The poster never chimed back in during the course of those ten hours except to proudly announce what the new bike is, which happened ten hours later (hence the title).

Anyone care to take a guess as to what the S/O's beginner bike is based on zero research and ten hours?
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    Given the two choices, I'd say it was the 750 Shadow.

Gerry
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    At least it wasn't a 600 supersport. Squids won't even take 10 minutes to decide on one.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Blog Entries
    The answer? "None of the above".

An 1100 Shadow won the day, "it just felt right when she sat on it so we brought it home".
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    At least it wasn't a 600 supersport. Squids won't even take 10 minutes to decide on one.
    Which is why, as much as I think I would like doing motorcycle sales, I have too much of a conscience to be the one facilitating the sale of a bike that's at best inappropriate and at worst downright dangerous.

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
    '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Lori View Post
    Which is why, as much as I think I would like doing motorcycle sales, I have too much of a conscience to be the one facilitating the sale of a bike that's at best inappropriate and at worst downright dangerous.
    And that is why whenever you are talking to anyone about anything, you have to determine their incentives and consider whatever they say in light of any conflicts of interest their incentives may produce.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    And that is why whenever you are talking to anyone about anything, you have to determine their incentives and consider whatever they say in light of any conflicts of interest their incentives may produce.
    That doesn't always help.

People can absorb stuff off the internet without actually absorbing the meaning. For example, many years ago when we had a dealership worth frequenting, I was down there for a lengthy endeavor and eavesdropping on a sale that was being made. I don't recall why I was there, suffice it to say this was back when you could talk shop with knowledgeable types that worked there so no doubt I was mining for ideas.

Anyways this guy had all the right answers and statements, he acuatally "sold" the salesman into the deal claiming he started on a 250 Ninja and spent the past couple years on a 600 Ninja, he was now interested in a ZX-9R (for those not in the know, it was the first factory bike to topple the 10 second quarter mile back then). Now keep in mind this particular sales person would have never sold that bike to a wet behind the ears noob, but this customer had a solid pitch.

Right up until the techs uncrated and assembled/prepped the shiny new bike. After the pre-flight drill --- where the lead tech explains what each button/switch/lever/knob/etc is and how it works --- our hero straddles the bike, thumbs the starter, and inquires "Okay...which one's the clutch?"

After managing a few stalls, he dumped it a few hundred yards off property.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    That doesn't always help.
    It may not always yield a successful result, but it always helps to understand where people are coming from.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    but it always helps to understand where people are coming from.
    Change "always" to "often" and that will ring true. The story above obviously backs that notion, since the guy pitched a convincing yet fraudulent "where he came from" tale.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

What I've learned in my <mumble> years on this earth is that people will ask for opinions, and what they really want is validation for what they *want* to do. They will argue with those that suggest going in a different direction. I'm guilty of doing this. I like to think I've learned from that mistake, but have become adept at spotting it in others, and not letting it bother me when it happens. Why? Eh. They asked my opinion. I gave my opinion. What they choose to do with the information is up to them. Not my circus, not my monkeys.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff