Thanks to FarceBook and PhotoSuckit my prior thread ( http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showth...-Strikes-Again ) has zero pics so I'm just starting a new one. First up, a recap of that thread with restored pics.

Acquisition Day/Homecoming (I added the bandana to the forks, something all my Rebels have as a signature):

Off the truck:

The "Department of Stuff it Came With"...

Clubman bars & Rox risers

Twin carbs, baby! (Rebels & Nighthawks come with a single, although the CB carb is slightly larger)

CB250 front end

Box of spare parts

The story: I had wanted to explore a CB250 Nighthawk front end for a Rebel for quite some time. The base bike is dripping with old school styling and while I realize a drum brake is a downgrade from what it comes with, I thought it would really compliment the overall look for an old school build. So when I stumbled across a CraigsList ad boasting a Rebel with said front end already on it for less than the cost of what the front end would be separately --- and the rest of the Rebel included --- I didn't look any gift horses in their mouths.

It turned out the seller bought it from the PO as a "Rebel bobber project" with a wrecked frame. The seller didn't know what he had so he went with the PO's intel and bought a titled Rebel frame for a Rebel, when (unbeknownst to both him and the PO) he needed a Nighthawk frame. He also acquired numerous other parts along the way but never got it running. It was only after I got it home and started tearing into it that I realized what the actual story was: it was originally a 250 Nighthawk. Both bikes share the same motor, but outside of that everything else is different between the two...including the wiring harness, coils, CDI module, rectifier/regulator, you name it, it's a different part. Even the carburetors are different. Knowing the seller never got it started/running I went with what I did know: Rebel. I swapped out the wiring harness and other bits for Rebel hardware that I knew was in working order rather than spending countless hours with test lights on the unknown system and trying to fix it. Sad to say it's a lot less work tearing a bike down to the frame and starting from scratch than taking a chance of starting at the wrong end of the electrical system. Besides, the Rebel is pretty much a simple bike to work on...just like the way it inspires confidence with a new rider it instills that same confidence when you're bending wrenches on it. In the hands of someone with experience it's just a joy on both ends.

Why Honda makes two completely different electrical systems for the same motor is beyond a paradox. When it was all said and done I had spark, the sign of life it was missing upon acquisition. That CB250 harness & hardware is now taking up residence in the Great Heap (an affectionate name I have given to the organized chaos that is my section of the grage where all spare parts are stowed, and any Star Wars fans should catch the name as well).