Thread: New toy

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! bikebitsmall's Avatar

New toy

Hi Folks, my new bike, so far so good.

Question though, most of my bikes have been used, this being new do they get a little smoother sound wise etc. as we brake them in. I'm trying not to lug it, different speeds and limited speed until broken in more.

I know HD may have some noise/vibration etc. No problem really just wondering if the parts settle in gets smoother.IMG_2808.jpg
    2004 Sportster sold
    2009 Yamaha Vstar--sold
    Sears putt put 109cc-- sold
    1965 Yamaha 80 cc--sold
    2016 T100 Bonny

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I bought my new bike 22 years ago (and still own it), I honestly can't recall if it felt/sounded different once the break-in service had been performed because that was...

...22 5/12 years ago.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    I bought my new bike 22 years ago (and still own it), I honestly can't recall if it felt/sounded different once the break-in service had been performed because that was...

...22 5/12 years ago.

Thanks anyway.
    2004 Sportster sold
    2009 Yamaha Vstar--sold
    1965 Yamaha 80 cc--sold
    2016 T100 Bonny

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    My MV Agusta made a lot more mechanical noise until it was broken in, ymmv.

... is physically impossible for any of my bikes to ever shake like a Harley though, you got me beat there

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    Thanks anyway.
    Sorry I couldn't shed any light on the matter. Things are just done a little differently at the Shadow Shack...the first bike was not a used bike (but the dozen or so that followed were) and I like to do unorthodox modifications. If it weren't for the sheer coincidence that I prefer low displacement cruisers, I would not fit the Beginner Biker forum mold at all.

All I can say is the break-in service is a crucial one. Mine was supposed to be done at 600 miles, I made the appointment at 450 miles but by the time the appointed time rolled around I had 1200 miles on it. The dealer said not to worry. 136K miles later, and aside from a fuel pump fire that is not related --- I'd say this is one of those rare moments when the dealer was right as the bike has been trouble free (other than said pump disaster).
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    A little smoother feeling? Yes, especially in the first thousand miles or so. Change in sound? Probably not too much. Try to avoid the tempation to take others' advise to use oil types that are far from what the factory recommends. The bike WILL be quiter for a while. Several thousand miles in fact. Then it will require major service far earlier than it should have.

Can you get service manuals for new Harley's ? Is one of the first things I usually try to find for every new bike.
    Mechanics get old and retire, a good motorcycle with a service manual can easy out live the owner.

That bike has chain primary drive, yes, they were always a little light on the chain slack adjuster design, unless they have improved it a whole bunch :/ is a potential source of some vibration and mechanical sounds, I bet there are hundreds of posts on that somewhere.

Possibly i'm confused with the term "smoother"
    is it a primary combustion vibration issue? or more like a drive train un-smooth thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Can you get service manuals for new Harley's ? Is one of the first things I usually try to find for every new bike.
    Mechanics get old and retire, a good motorcycle with a service manual can easy out live the owner.

That bike has chain primary drive, yes, they were always a little light on the chain slack adjuster design, unless they have improved it a whole bunch :/ is a potential source of some vibration and mechanical sounds, I bet there are hundreds of posts on that somewhere.

Possibly i'm confused with the term "smoother"
    is it a primary combustion vibration issue? or more like a drive train un-smooth thing?

Thanks for the above posts, to be a little more clear it seems a bit clunky in general but could be because have taken a year off from riding, and the brake in is rather slow. I do hope overall it smooths out a bit, could just be normal and not used to it. It is belt driven and comes with a keyless fob and alarm. Quite like it.
    2004 Sportster sold
    2009 Yamaha Vstar--sold
    1965 Yamaha 80 cc--sold
    2016 T100 Bonny

Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    .... It is belt driven ...
    Not the final drive, the primary drive, the chain and tensioner between your crankshaft and transmission. Should be on the Left side of the motor and enclosed in an oil bath chain along with your clutch, is on the side of the bike they almost never show pictures of.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Not the final drive, the primary drive, the chain and tensioner between your crankshaft and transmission. Should be on the Left side of the motor and enclosed in an oil bath chain along with your clutch, is on the side of the bike they almost never show pictures of.

You're right I misunderstood, believe there is a small cut out to check a few things.
    2004 Sportster sold
    2009 Yamaha Vstar--sold
    1965 Yamaha 80 cc--sold
    2016 T100 Bonny