Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold Weather Gear

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I think I have a pinlock for my Shoei 1200. It is tinted. I don't use it since I have the photo sensitive transition lens. I will have to dig it out and see what it is.

I have ridden up to 65 mph in cold weather with my layering system. But only for short distances. I have not tested it for long distances. I wonder about the impact of wind chill if you have blocked the wind effectively.

I got a little chill in my ankles. Will have to secure that area better.

I have some cheap Frogg Toggs Rain gear. I have not used it in the rain yet. But it seems to be very effective at cutting the wind.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Since I have lived in Arizona, I use my rain gear more often as wind protection than as wet protection.
    We can have very, very, wide temperature swings. Same as in mountainous areas. Right now I am seeing 35 to 40 degree swings from the morning ride to mid-afternoon.

Pay attention to RC-Lori's post. What is comfortable for a 30 minute ride maybe woefully inadequate for a long ride even if you stop frequently. I ride down to the 40s here on the OBX. My primary destination is 25 minute away. Just about the time I'm getting chilled I'm there.

But I can remember one long ride in the low 50s that just near cold soaked the life out of me. We would stop and I would think I was warmed up ... but I ended up realizing I was actually becoming impaired because of the cold. My son, who had a heated vest, insisted we switch bike so I could use his vest and that saved me.

Next best to a heated vest are heated grips. They have been great because they are always there ... even when the forecasters miss on the temps by 10 degrees. And consider the bike. The massive electric windscreen on my ST is my most comfortable bike. My GS wins over my Road King because of heated grips. My dual sports are worst.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

If it helps, I layered under summer gear and put rain gear over that when the weather changed drastically while we were in Austin. We rode to Austin with temps in the low 80s. We rode home in the gusty low 40s with periodic rain. I was uncomfortable *only* in my hands and feet, which is why I called out the heated grips + hand guards and the need for heated footwear. Thing is, if he has clear weather, the temperatures will not remain constant all day. They'll start out in the 40s, but he'll likely be ready to shed some layers by lunch.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    Thing is, if he has clear weather, the temperatures will not remain constant all day. They'll start out in the 40s, but he'll likely be ready to shed some layers by lunch.
    This is what I think is likely. Except on the way north the warming may be muted. On the way south might start out colder but warm up faster.

OBX's comment about stopping to warm up but not warming up as much as expected is something to think about.

Sun and humidity are factors, too. A couple weeks ago I rode my half-naked NINJA (lower fairings were off as phase one of my major winter project) an hour away to get a custom tank pad put on it. After that, I had some errands to run in The Big City while I was nearby. The forecast had called for 30's and fog, then clearing and 40's. The sun never came out. The fog persisted all day long. It was damp and chilly and breezy and never got above 36 degrees. At 75 mph, that makes for a windchill factor of 17.5 degrees. And no sun to help out. With it being so nasty when I left home, I had added the long underwear and, of course, the heated gear. To make matters worse, my errands took way longer than expected so I didn't roll in until well after dark.

My friend just bought some "cheap" (her description) battery-operated heated gear of some sort. She rides year-round to work on rural highways on a V-Star 1100 with a windshield. She says it's made a huge difference. I think she may have bought a jacket and gloves, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it might be worth investing in some basic heated gear like that for occasional use. Hypothermia can be VERY dangerous, so it's something to really think about.

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
    '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C, Kawasaki ZX25R!!!!!!!!!

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I used them, on occasion, on my Shadow. Took a while to get used to SUPER thick palms. I have small hands, so it made gripping the grips a little awkward until I got used to them. I also found that my fingers stayed cold. They're why I was happy Eyegore has heated grips. My fingers (except the tips) stay warm when they're on.
    I've never used them on the bike but have you tried putting them inside your gloves on the BACK side of your hands? Thinner palms, but not sure if they would be as effective.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
    I've never used them on the bike but have you tried putting them inside your gloves on the BACK side of your hands? Thinner palms, but not sure if they would be as effective.
    Which is exactly why I decided against it. I'm currently looking at the Versys, which has a package that includes hand guards. I firmly believe that heated grips + hand guards is the right combo.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    I found that my thin cashmere sweater and merino wool underpants are better thermal regulators than any motorcycle-specific stuff. They keep me warm, but don't make me overheat when it's not as cold outside as when I left home. Of course I have waterproof pants and jacket, living in Seattle. Also, I swear by pinlock. The most important part is gloves, get yourself good winter gloves, it's not a pleasant feeling when your hands are too cold to modulate brakes.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".