Thread: fenda extenda

Flirting With The Redline dpwell's Avatar

fenda extenda

HI - I just installed a fenda extenda for the front fender on my Honda cb500x. This is one of several mods I'm doing because I'm hoping to start exploring gravel roads this year. I'm also about to install a rally raid engine guard and a radiator guard by Bruudt.

The extenda has quite a bit less clearance with the tire than the main fender. I can only get one finger between the extenda and the tire. Is that too little if I'm gonna ride on gravel roads all day? Perhaps given the protection afforded by the other products, I don't really need the extenda anyway? Thoughts? Thanks!
    2018 Honda CRF250L ('Rhonda')
    2015 Honda CB500X ('Betty')
    Previous bikes:
    2009 Ninja 250 ('Saki')
    2007 Honda CBR125
    http://www.vancouvermusictheory.com

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Front fender clearance is dependent on the nature of the tire you are running and its tendency to pick up rocks or mud. I think it is one of those things that only your own personal first hand experience will determine.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    I'm trying to remember how the fender is mounted. It might be possible to shift the whole fender up a bit and create some more clearance that way.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fender / tire clearance off road is not as much of an issue until it gets muddy and clumpy, like the other posts said. Depending on how the stock fender mounts to the forks, you may be able to gain more clearance using washers or making new holes.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    FWIW, I’ve had an extender on my front wheel since the Concours was almost new, and have had zero issue with rocks. Rocks large enough to be a problem won’t stick in the tire and get carried high enough to get stuck, but the additional fender does wonders to keep nasty road spray off the headers and lower radiator. Ridden a fair number of gravel roads, and no issues.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    It seems itís close enough that people report not being able to fit knobbier tires (e.g. TCK80) with the Fenda Extenda, which might or might not be a concern for you. Though if youíve bought the Rally Raid engine guard it sounds like you might be intending to hit some fairly rough ground.

I had a Fenda Extenda on my NT700V. It worked great and kept all the crud from getting on the radiator.

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
    '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C, Kawasaki ZX25R!!!!!!!!!

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.