Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The impending doom of the motorcycle industry

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    One problem for us that the eventual truly autonomous vehicles could bring; when they stop hitting us, how truly bad we are as motorcycle operators could come to light. When there's no one else to blame, what is to be done about all of those motorcyclists who crash all on their own.

Currently, based on most states' annual crash reports, about 70% of motorcyclist fatalities involve errors made by the rider.
    It is this that keeps me believing that riding is a lot safer than it seems for those who take safety seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    It is this that keeps me believing that riding is a lot safer than it seems for those who take safety seriously.
    That and at least half the riders I picked up in the helicopter had had something to drink. Anything to drink is too much when riding ... In flight simulators the error rate sky rocketed with just 2 drinks ... as did the over confidence ... a really bad combination. The oft spoke idea that someone does better after a couple of drinks is bs ... what really happens is their perception is altered.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    That and at least half the riders I picked up in the helicopter had had something to drink. Anything to drink is too much when riding ... In flight simulators the error rate sky rocketed with just 2 drinks ... as did the over confidence ... a really bad combination. The oft spoke idea that someone does better after a couple of drinks is bs ... what really happens is their perception is altered.
    True that. Alcohol makes you stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Is that the case or is it; riding is a lot safer than it seems for those who take riding seriously Everything we ever did was reckless and dangerous once something went wrong!
    "When there's no one else to blame" <- what does that even mean? When things go bad is it always somebody else's fault unless it is our own fault? Holy I don't want to go through life always living in retrospect of all the things that went wrong and looking to blame somebody. Let me have my inherently dangerous motorcycle, it's been the most fun I ever had in life & I feel sorry for anyone who never had such an experience, so don't go feeling sorry for me if one day that causes my end game, I can think of far worse ways to go.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    Fifteen or so years ago one of the major motorcycle magazines did an impaired riding experiment which backs up OBX's observation. The riders rode a test course and were scored on time and errors. Then they drank and rode again, drank and rode again, etc. One of the observations was that after the first drink (or so), most of the riders' times 'improved'. Inhibitions that existed during baseline runs were eliminated and the riders were willing to take greater risk when running the cone course. Of course, after this brief 'improvement', everything went to heck.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    ... One of the observations was that after the first drink (or so), most of the riders' times 'improved'. Inhibitions that existed during baseline runs were eliminated and the riders were willing to take greater risk when running the cone course. Of course, after this brief 'improvement', everything went to heck.
    They must have used alcoholics for the test one beer was enough to mess me up when I did that experiment. Cone course My experiment involved jumping off a vertical drop into the township gravel pit on an MX bike and seeing how far down the hill I could land it.
    Way more scientific

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I bowl better after a beer or two. Goes down hill after that.

Must be a tolerance thing, I'm a cheap drunk and I succumb to dehydration real easy.

has anyone else google'd 'autonomous vehicle accident' videos yet?

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! midknyte's Avatar
    Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear!

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! midknyte's Avatar
    A little less gloomy

Motorcycle.com: Oh, What a Beautiful Time it Is to Be a Motorcyclist. http://www.motorcycle.com/features/O...orcyclist.html
    Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear!

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    On a whim I looked up the age range of "millennials"...all this time I pegged that slot for mid-20's, so I was actually surprised it extends into the mid-30's.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com