Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The impending doom of the motorcycle industry

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar

The impending doom of the motorcycle industry

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    I love the part where it says: "the approaching widespread adoption of autonomous vehicles, whose prevalence on public roads may leave no safe space for motorcycling."

I think I seen that watching the movie Logan last evening. There is a scene where a trailer load of horses end up running around on the highway after an accident, and the autonomous transport trucks don't even slow down, they just keep charging along at cruising speed and beep their horn in warning
    hopefully somebody will invent railway tracks before that becomes a reality.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll get a scrambler, but I ain't gettin no man bun! https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...-united-states
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    I love the part where it says: "the approaching widespread adoption of autonomous vehicles, whose prevalence on public roads may leave no safe space for motorcycling."
    First major lawsuit, and they will learn to recognize motorcycles really fast.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    First major lawsuit, and they will learn to recognize motorcycles really fast.
    I think the concern is that motorcycles will just be legislated out of existence altogether. i.e. no non-autonomous vehicles permitted on road. Which is probably the right thing to do for public health, but also no fun.

Autonomous vehicles would be about as much fun as riding public transit or taking a cab.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    My perspective is that the whole premise of this "study" is wrong. They assume that motorcycling will never be more than a fun activity, instead of being a primary form of transportation like it is elsewhere. They also assume that the only way to learn to ride a motorcycle is the US "weekend in a parking lot" way. They have so little perspective on how motorcycling in the US could change, only have fear.

Instead of worrying about autonomous vehicles, they should be celebrating them. Motos are far more predictable than pedestrians. Motos are also far more affordable than the average enclosed vehicle, and in the South, should be being promoted as an additional mobility method.

Once the mobility core issue is addressed, training will follow.

Summing up, the US needs to come around to the idea that two-wheeled transit is a basic adulting skill.
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Here here!
    They also said
    “There has never been a more compelling and interesting time in motorcycling,”
    and the only people who would say that are the ones not riding motorcycles in the 1970's
    "The old dealership model is broken and needs a makeover."
    They are referring to the dealerships from the 1970's
    "Baby boomer buyers, the most consistent motorcycle consumers, are aging out of the industry fast."
    in the 1970's Baby boomers were in their motorcycle riding prime and buying bikes like crazy.
    and
    “The single biggest threat to motorcycling overall … will be the incompatibility between autonomous vehicles and existing motorcycles.”
    I just don't get that one, are they saying I can't out ride an autonomous Johnny cab :/

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    “The single biggest threat to motorcycling overall … will be the incompatibility between autonomous vehicles and existing motorcycles.”
    I just don't get that one, are they saying I can't out ride an autonomous Johnny cab [/img]
    They are saying the radar on the autonomous car will not see motorcycles so will drive straight over them. While this is apparently a problem with the technology as it is today (and frightening given some of these cars are on the road) it's unlikely to be a problem longer term. There are several long articles on autonomous cars on the Revzilla Common Thread page that are interesting reading.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    They are saying the radar on the autonomous car will not see motorcycles so will drive straight over them. While this is apparently a problem with the technology as it is today (and frightening given some of these cars are on the road) it's unlikely to be a problem longer term. There are several long articles on autonomous cars on the Revzilla Common Thread page that are interesting reading.
    I live in a community where Waymo (Google) has been developing the live traffic behavior of their autonomous vehicles for over a year. Uber, Intel, Delphi, and Ford, are also in the area. I encounter Waymo vehicles on a daily basis and I can tell you without reservation that I would prefer to share the road with a group of Waymo driven vehicles than human controlled vehicles any day. The Waymo 'drivers' (yes, as of last month there are fully driverless Waymos running about) are far more predictable and courteous than human drivers.

Having met with some Waymo engineers (one of whom IS a motorcyclist), I learned that Waymo's algorithms recognize motorcyclists, and recognize that they may move about within a lane and generally behave differently than an automobile. The engineer's only caution was that their computers do not recognize hand signals from motorcyclists, only from bicyclists.

The roads will be better for us when there are fewer human drivers on the road.