Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The impending doom of the motorcycle industry

Harley is trying to attract younger riders to their marque. They are doing this by offering their "Riding Academy." They ARE moving the bodies through. Whether these riders will choose HD, is another thing.

Harley's problem~

Their customer pool is aging out.

Millennials consider Harleys an "old people's" motorcycle with little excitement. This is going to be a tough one to break.

The riders they still do have, desire lighter weight motorcycles, and yet the MOCO continues to market bikes that are 250-300 pounds overweight. These riders are going elsewhere. (As stated above, their pool is getting old/weak or dead.)

Oh yeah, the cost to participate is ridiculous.

Lastly, the quality of the components used in building the new bikes is dubious at best. The shareholders are running the asylum.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Harley's problem~

Their customer pool is aging out.

Millennials consider Harleys an "old people's" motorcycle with little excitement. This is going to be a tough one to break.
    Yes, I believe this is accurate. Both my millennial boys think my Harley is cool, but they prefer to ride the other bikes.

The riders they still do have, desire lighter weight motorcycles, and yet the MOCO continues to market bikes that are 250-300 pounds overweight. These riders are going elsewhere. (As stated above, their pool is getting old/weak or dead.)
    They guy I got my Harley from is a life long there is not other motorcycle other than Harley guy. But he is 80 now and Harleys are too heavy for him. A Honda Rebel would be perfect for him. But he would never ride one.

Oh yeah, the cost to participate is ridiculous.
    The cost to participate new is ridiculous, but the cost to participate used is not bad. This is a double problem.

Lastly, the quality of the components used in building the new bikes is dubious at best.
    Agreed - I went a looked at the new softails and was disappointed with the quality of the fit and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    It seems clear to me that Indian Motorcycle Sales up = +17% .. Slingshot Sales up = +100% equals Total "Indian + Slingshot sales = + 26%. What is complicated in reading Indian Motorcycle sales up 17% ..?
    Yes, this is how I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    I won't claim I've seen every article regarding these sales, but where did you see them reported separately? I ask as the ones I've seen report them together.
    As OBX pointed out, the growth is reported separately in the paragraph you posted 17% for Indian alone.

I have not seen unit production numbers. And you may have a point that it is as yet unclear whether they are selling more Indians than they sold Victorys. So may statement that they are more successful with Indian than they were with Victory may not be accurate. The decline in 2017 would suggest that Indian sales had not made up for lost Victory sales in 2017, but perhaps they had by the fourth quarter and perhaps they are on pace to do so in 2018.

I would be interested to see the raw unit production numbers. Although if Indian is up 17%, Slingshot up 100% and total up 26% you can mathematically derive the relationship between Indian and Slingshot sales.

I estimate that this relationship means that Indian sales were about 8 times Slingshot sales in the fourth quarter.
    Last edited by Sorg67; 05-14-2018 at 06:48 AM.

If you ask me HD missed their chance when they ended Buell Motorcycles. They were just beginning to get really innovative with that line when they abandoned it. There is no reason Buell couldn't have become at least the American Ducati. With the glut of money HD had back then they could have developed a technically superior Buell motorcycle and sold it at their cost and "bought" a new following. But it's a problem seen all across American industry .. all the focus is on the next quarter instead of the next 5-10 years. And why Elon Musk gets so exasperated with Wall Street ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Iím just amazed at the prices. For what it costs to get on a new Harley or Indian, I could buy three Hondas, toss two of them over a cliff and still have enough left over to go on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    It's a problem seen all across American industry .. all the focus is on the next quarter instead of the next 5-10 years.
    Yes, this is true and is at least part of why Toyota now sells more vehicles than GM. We are a culture that wants results right now and what gives results right now is often now what yields best results in the long run.