Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When too much is not enough?

Quote Originally Posted by RC-Lori View Post
    I wonder if it still suffers from all the false neutrals that mine does?
    I can see a little clarification is in order. When I refer to false neutrals, it is when the bike seems to go into neutral between two gears OTHER THAN first and second. Here is the discussion about it over on the N1K forum:

http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/for...ing-issue.html

And, yes, once in awhile I hit neutral instead of first or second. That's pilot error.

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
    '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Lori View Post
    I can see a little clarification is in order. When I refer to false neutrals, it is when the bike seems to go into neutral between two gears OTHER THAN first and second. Here is the discussion about it over on the N1K forum:
    http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/for...ing-issue.html
    And, yes, once in awhile I hit neutral instead of first or second. That's pilot error.
    That would be a considerable source for concern as standard transmissions by design only have one shift position where the gears are allowed to spin freely and any other time that really should be theoretically impossible. I would be monitoring the oil changes and drain plug magnet for accumulation of metal particles, if it uses the same oil for both the engine and transmission that is more difficult because any debris could end up in a pre filter screen (if it has one) or the oil filter. I suspect that if the transmission was to be disassembled after experiencing that problem there would almost certainly be some signs of wear on either the shift drum and its locator pins, shifter forks or on the gear cogs. Not a great scenario. Where the forum people talk about synthetic oil they are actually trying to address a mechanical problem by using superior lubricants and that might address a stiff shifting problem, but incomplete engagement of gears other than true neutral or popping out of gear is a scary issue. Any time I had that happen I found worn and bent parts inside the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    That would be a considerable source for concern as standard transmissions by design only have one shift position where the gears are allowed to spin freely and any other time that really should be theoretically impossible. I would be monitoring the oil changes and drain plug magnet for accumulation of metal particles, if it uses the same oil for both the engine and transmission that is more difficult because any debris could end up in a pre filter screen (if it has one) or the oil filter. I suspect that if the transmission was to be disassembled after experiencing that problem there would almost certainly be some signs of wear on either the shift drum and its locator pins, shifter forks or on the gear cogs. Not a great scenario. Where the forum people talk about synthetic oil they are actually trying to address a mechanical problem by using superior lubricants and that might address a stiff shifting problem, but incomplete engagement of gears other than true neutral or popping out of gear is a scary issue. Any time I had that happen I found worn and bent parts inside the transmission.
    This is likely the problem, unfortunately.

Might try this~ When upshifting, pull up on shifter, and hold it until you load the gear set with torque. See if this eliminates your shifting problem.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.