Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When too much is not enough?

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When too much is not enough?

The Ninja just upped its game in the sport touring race. 200hp liter bike two-upping?

https://imotorbike.my/news/2017/12/2...ourer-too-much

I love my VFR and its V4, but have to admit.. this gets me thinking about a Ninja 1000
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Wish I had one

... a 90 pound girlfriend that I can wear like a back pack and likes to ride on a bird perch that is

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I would not want to be on the same road with a bike like that, much less ride it.

Stopped in the local BMW motorrad store yesterday. Looked at the 2017 1000RR.

It advertises "199HP" stock.

I think it has electric shifting too...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    The Ninja just upped its game in the sport touring race. 200hp liter bike two-upping?
    I wish I had the centerstand on mine. And the quickshifter might be nice, I guess. I wonder if it still suffers from all the false neutrals that mine does? Next week's project: rebuild the shifter, swap out the horn, get a custom tank pad, change oil, clean and lube chain, and replace the rest of the damaged parts from the deer-ending. I just had the ECU reflashed and added a gear indicator. Should be like riding a brand new bike!

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2")
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Wish I had one

... a 90 pound girlfriend that I can wear like a back pack and likes to ride on a bird perch that is
    I rode on the back of my male co-worker's (a new RiderCoach, his first class) ZX-14 with no backrest. On the way to lunch, I managed to hang on to some part of the frame that was behind me. It wasn't fun. So before we headed back, I asked him if he would mind if I held on to his waist. He said that was fine, his kids do it all the time. While better, and even though he had the bike's power dialed down, it's still no fun being perched on the back of something like that. When we got back, I joked with the class that he kept trying to throw me off.

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2")
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

If you ever ride on the back of mine don't ask just hang on to my waist, it's the only safe way to do it! Also gives the pillion rider a far better sense of what the pilot is doing (add) and the pilot a better sense of what the passenger is doing!

More information then you ever wanted to hear about standard transmissions:
    Most motorcycles have straight spur gears to reduce weight and size of the transmission, spur gear transmissions can be manufactured more cheaply and carry the power more efficiently, cars often use helical cut gears because they operate quiet, induce less vibration, tend to shift easier and they often feature a synchromesh transmission design.

Even with a quickshift on a spur gear transmission you still have to be very positive with your gear changes, is also a fact that more powerful motors need wider faces on the gears to carry the power and that means you are having to move them further to completely engage. Not to suggest you should stomp on a shift lever because that will bend shift forks but matching your engine speed to the road speed and giving the lever a very authoritative shift on the lever is important. If a transmission becomes near impossible to shift or has a tendency to pop out of a gear frequently it is often associated with a bent shift fork or worn pin in the transmission. This was a common problem in my Montesa 360VA, the 250 model had a 5 speed transmission and when they built the 360 they had to drop it to 4 speed transmission and increase the internal spur gears dimension to have a wider 1 inch face. Proper shifting required very positive gear changes and more travel at the lever.

Picture shows the difference between a helical cut gear at the top and spur gears below:

Synchromesh transmissions need even more parts to make the shifting smooth, positive and easier.
    Last edited by Trials; 01-06-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: add

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Lori View Post
    I wonder if it still suffers from all the false neutrals that mine does?
    I can't speak on behalf of Kawi's sport bike line, but their entire cruiser line has been equipped with Positive Neutral Finder which helps prevent those false 1st-to-2nd changes and said line has been sporting this feature since at least the mid-90's.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    If you ever ride on the back of mine don't ask just hang on to my waist, it's the only safe way to do it! Also gives the pillion rider a far better sense of what the pilot is doing (add) and the pilot a better sense of what the passenger is doing!
    Hey wait a minute, a rider coach riding pillion with a rider coach I should not need to tell you that!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    I can't speak on behalf of Kawi's sport bike line, but their entire cruiser line has been equipped with Positive Neutral Finder which helps prevent those false 1st-to-2nd changes and said line has been sporting this feature since at least the mid-90's.
    This is all I could find on that one Shadow:
    "Positive Neutral Finder system is a device that prevents the transmission from shifting from first into second when it is at a standstill. Once the bike is under way, the centrifugal force of a spinning transmission shaft disengages the device, ideally allowing unhindered upshifts."

... only appears in forum discussions as I could see, would love to hear a manufacturers sales pitch or service bulletin on that one.
    Last edited by Trials; 01-06-2018 at 11:46 AM.