Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ( expletive deleted ) !!!

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    listen to this, will make you feel better: https://youtu.be/-38EqY7lZNk

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    Oh wow, that's terrible! Where / when did this happen? I'm assuming you were riding the bike?

Gerry
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It started smoking at a stop light on my way to work Thursday morning, so when it turned green I took off to find the closest parking lot which was a McDonald's. I could see flame reflecting off the mufflers so I ran in for a fire extinguisher and gave it 6-8 good blasts from different angles...some by shoving the hose into the seat and others from the underside.

That was not fun stuff to clean off, and there's still some residual element lurking (mostly inside the seat).

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    What are the lessons we can learn to reduce risk of this?
    Not much, it was a single owner bone stock bike. I could digest this a little better had it been owned by half a dozen or so owners that each performed their own hack wiring jobs along the way...but that's just not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Fuel pump fire?
    It looks like the fire started at the stator-to-main wiring harness connection (first post- fire extinguisher pic). From there it spread upward to the fuel pump and I'm guessing some hot melted flaming plastic from the seat and/or rear fender dripped onto the battery box below.

What really pisses me off is that was a new (to me) seat...I had just acquired it a couple months ago to replace the 20 year old one that was tearing. They don't make those anymore and it's getting tough to find them in decent shape. :banghead:

is your rectifier toast, and where is that located? fuel pump power is supplied by the spark coil, yes? is a pulse pump
    The rectifier/regulator is on the opposite side (along with the CDI module). I have yet to test anything but so far the seat and rear fender, while damaged, could still be serviceable (although comfort may be a factor since a good chunk of the foam burned) and look fine when assembled, you can't see the damage at all (re: first two pics covered in extinguishing element). I'll need a wiring harness (also no longer in production), rear coil, fuel pump, and tail light at the very least...and in a perfect world a replacement stator (also no longer in production) in lieu of cutting the damaged wiring loose and splicing in fresh wires with a new connector.

The pump is a pulse type pump wired to the rear coil. That's the ugly piece in the under seat pic.

We'll see what the adjuster says and which price guide they go by (KBB or NADA). Meanwhile I'm bikeless with eight bikes that are all currently out of service. I never thought I'd see the day where eight equals zero. The Progressive ad rings true: "Life without your motorcycle is just life."
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline thud300's Avatar
    That sucks. How old was the bike?
    Returning neglected Kawasakis to riding glory since 2014
    1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera", 1998 Concours "Connimus Prime", 1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
    COG #12068 Member of American Voyager Association #ATGATT or stay home
    my YouTube channel: ToastRider

Flirting With The Redline 5000 Posts! crankshaft's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about that Shadow Shack
    '07 FJR 1300
    '05 VTX 1300
    '02 ACE 750 - Sold
    Home of the Bug Bash
    August 5 - August 7 2016

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    That's hard to look at. I hope that it all works out to be restorable.
    The stator output connector is a high voltage and high current junction. Early Buell XB series models had a problem melting a similar junction, but no fires that I know of. Any dirt or corrosion in that connection and it will readily get quite hot. You are actually better off splicing wires and using a higher quality connector set. While you are at it, check the connection at the regulator, it carries the same amount of power.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    That's hard to look at. I hope that it all works out to be restorable.
    The stator output connector is a high voltage and high current junction. Early Buell XB series models had a problem melting a similar junction, but no fires that I know of. Any dirt or corrosion in that connection and it will readily get quite hot. You are actually better off splicing wires and using a higher quality connector set. While you are at it, check the connection at the regulator, it carries the same amount of power.
    Same issue with the ZX12Rís. There was a recall on the wiring to the junction. It seems engine oil would travel up via capillary action to the junction and short it. Had a few bikes burn to the ground.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    To the best of my knowledge, no Buells burned. They did kill their regulators though. Air-cooled BMWs have their alternators and voltage regulators only about ten inches apart and so have a specific charging system sub-harness (three wires). Even at that, a small amount of corrosion at either end can cause the terminals to overheat, and melt the connectors.

In an earlier period, I worked on a lot of '70s and '80s Asian bikes and had to replace the alternator connectors more than once.