Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Leak drz 400 S

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I do not think my carburetor is gravity feed, it I understand the term correctly. My petcock does not have an off position. It has on, reserve and prime. In the on or reserve position it requires suction to pull gas from the tank. It will only flow freely in the prime position.

I have read differing opinions on this system. Some replace the petcock with one that has on, reserve and off (for gravity feed, I think). When doing so, it is my understanding that some carburetor modifications are necessary to make it work in a gravity feed system.

The Harley and KLX are gravity feed, I believe.

I have the carburetor off again and I plan to take it apart and examine it more closely this time. I will look for some of the items you all have suggested. Thanks for your on-going help.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    I think the DRZ has a similar system to that in my old DR200. It is a gravity feed, not having a fuel pump. Fuel flows from the tank down to the carburetor purely under its own weight.

The petcock has no “off” position because it is opened automatically by a vacuum line from the carburetor. Not sure if the DRZ has the same problem, but on the DR200 the petcock is notorious for failing to close automatically. If that happens AND your float valve doesn’t seal properly, all the gas in your tank leaks out all over the garage floor and/or into the crankcase.

Many people replace the vacuum petcock with a manual one, which requires you to remove the vacuum line and cap off the unused port on the carburetor.

That sounds right Matt. I have replaced the petcock already since it was leaking. That was about a year ago. It has worked fine since then.

I have looked at a couple videos. Looks like there are a lot of ways you can mess up if you don't know what you are doing. Clearly, I do not know what I am doing. I think I should keep what I try very limited so I do not make matters worse. If that does not work, give it to a professional.

Or, I should dig in really deep. Make sure I have all the right tools and really know what I am doing. I guess that is a question of how much time I want to invest. I have enjoyed what I have learned so far. A long way to go. But perhaps an enjoyable adventure.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    It’s not that bad, you just need to be careful and methodical.

- Have a clean working area so you don’t lose anything.
    - Take pictures as you go along so you can see how things go back together.
    - If you need to mess with the adjustment screws, take notes on the current position so you can put them back the same way. e.g. Screw it in all the way, counting how many turns until it hits bottom, and write down that number. On reassembly, screw it in all the way, then back off by the recorded number of turns. You are back where you started.

Last summer I rebuilt the Mikuni CV carburetor in my TY armed with nothing more than a sketchy downloaded diagram for the wrong carb and a dim memory of shop class thirty years ago, and it turned out fine. If I can do it, you can too.

How long did it take?

The float bowl gasket o-ring thingy looks a bit grungy. Any chance that could be all I need to do?

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    It's quite possible. Still worthwhile to look at other parts as well. When a fuel leak is the problem it is always a good idea to inspect the inlet needle and to check the adjustment of the float height.

To to check the needle you probably need to remove the float lever pivot pin (might need some tapping to get it moving) and then drop the needle from the seat. Closely inspect the tapered end of the needle. Checking the float height is generally pretty straight forward. With the inlet needle installed and the float arm also installed, the float arm should be parallel to the float bowl gasket surface when the inlet needle's spring is NOT compressed. This setup is almost universal.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Carburetor cleaning or adjustment is a practiced thing; after you've done yours a dozen times you get really fast at it. As in OMG the carb isn't working well and the event starts in 15 minutes

Is a very easy service on a TY and it has been done numerous times out in the woods with nothing more then a swiss army knife and a thorn bush.

Figure on a couple of hours the first time you ever do one because you will be taking pictures, and your carb is vacuum controlled so it is a little more complex. Almost guaranteed you don't need to touch anything in the top half of the carburetor, just leave all that stuff as it is, there is no fuel in the top half only air.

Some of those videos make it look way harder then it really is, you are on the right track to have fun with it and treat it like a learning experience.
    Last edited by Trials; 11-24-2017 at 05:51 PM.

I have the carburetor off and the float bowl open. However, I probably won't get back to this until next weekend. It it bad to leave it open like that for a week? I have stuffed a blue shop paper towel into the opening into the cylinder to avoid getting any debris in there. Anything else i should do?