Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Leak drz 400 S

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Fuel Leak drz 400 S

I have a fuel leak on my 2005 DRZ 400 S. It was dripping from bottom front left corner of carburator. Any suggestion for how I chase it down? Thinking of replacing the entire carburator.

Check the overflow circuit first.
    I would think that a "rebuild" kit might be available thru an indie. Heck, maybe even Cycle Gear but don't expect expertise behind the counter.

If it's a Mikuni, I think SUDCO is the importer for all things Mikuni. They might have a kit for it.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Part of the reason I am considering replacing the entire carburetor is that I have a limited mechanical skill set. I am thinking taking the old one off and putting a new one on would not be difficult. As evidence of my limited mechanical knowledge..... "what is the overflow circuit?"

How do I tell what kind of carburetor it has. Found it... Owners Manual, Mikuni BSR36

I might try the rebuild. I rebuilt the carburetor on a 1974 Mustang when I was kid.

Take everything apart. Clean and put back together will all knew gaskets and seals. Not too difficult.

Unless there are some tricky adjustments required.

Are there upgrade considerations for replacing the carburetor. Might be an easy way to rationalize a new one......

I have started taking the bike apart and have found that the air filter needs to be replaced. It is disintegrating. I found a K&N filter for $53 that seems to be an upgrade from the OEM. Worth it?

The OEM is cheap foam. The K&N claims to last forever and can be cleaned repeatedly.
    Last edited by Sorg67; 11-20-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Looks pretty simple to me, check your float needle and seat first, that's the thing that regulates the fuel level in the float bowl.
    think of it as a toilet and the valve in your toilet tank is leaking.

KN air filters are oiled felt, foam air filters are oiled foam, both require regular servicing and clean fresh oil to perform properly, none of them live forever.

btw: all of your carburetor problems will be in the bottom half of the carburetor, leave the top half as is. Disintegrating foam is bad, the loose material will get sucked into your engine and make a real mess in there. Increase your service and replacement of that part. There might be an accumulation of engine oil in the bottom of your air box, don't panic about that it's normal, just clean it out.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    It is likely that removing an installing the carburetor is actually more difficult than the rebuild itself. With modern carburetors, the float bowls are usually sealed with an o-ring rather than a flat gasket, so leaks there are pretty rare, but not impossible. More commonly is that you are dealing with overflow. For some reason (maybe a particle of dirt is blocking the carb inlet valve) the carburetor is over-filling and leaking from a vent.

Is you leak a steady drip when the fuel valve is not shut off or just fuel seepage that you notice over time?

I was a steady drip I noticed when going for a ride.

I have drained and removed the gas tank now.

My son has taken the ball on the DRZ. Has carburetor removed and is working on it. He is referencing your comments to work on figuring it out. Thanks for your help.

The needle is attached to the floats, the floats are attached by a pin that slides out to one side or the other, be gentle so as to not bend anything when removing it. Also take note of which way the floats are installed, on Some carburetors it is possible to re-install them upside down and not notice it. When the floats float, the needle is pushed upwards to plug the hole called the seat, that hole is where the fuel enters the bowl. The needle and/or the seat will probably have rubber on them to assist with sealing, make sure the rubber is clean and free of cracks. The needle will probably have a small spring inside it and that assembly needs to operate freely.