Thread: Just a heads up

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar

Just a heads up

I dunno if weíre allowed to mention retailers by name but a VERY well known on-line motorcycle retailer has Bell Star full face helmets on sale for $249.00 right now.

Iíd imagine Bell is set to release its replacement but certainly the Bell Star is a great helmet and absolutely on par with my Shoei RF-1200. Perhaps a wee-bit heavier but a ginormous deal on a helmet that came to the market at well over $500.00

If anyone is in the market or perhaps just need a really good spare I can vouch for the quality of this lid.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nice selection at those prices. It's the retailer that begins with "R" I have the Bell Qualifier but don't know if the fit is the same, since I tried on a Bell Star RS1 before and it was pretty narrow. I want the IOM graphics myself.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Nice selection at those prices. It's the retailer that begins with "R" I have the Bell Qualifier but don't know if the fit is the same, since I tried on a Bell Star RS1 before and it was pretty narrow. I want the IOM graphics myself.
    Yea for sure the Bell Star is a narrower fit than the Shoei if that’s a viable bench mark for anyone. But I like that and of course that is by design from Bell. I wear mediums (by and large) and like helmets to be on the too snug side within reason. The RF 1200 is snug but not very. The Bell Star is very snug.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Too bad, I'm out then. I am more of a Shoei shaped head.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Iíve been meaning to do a follow-up on my Bell Star helmet just in the off change anyone might be interested Last winter I retired my beloved Shoei RF-1200. It was past time and I had the thing since the day the 1200ís were released. I bought (as a replacement) an Arai DT-X at the Long Beach Show after sitting down with the rep and going through measuring etc. Somewhere in between I bought a HJC rpha11 at a deep discount at a ďhelmet dayĒ at one of our biggest dealers.

So... I currently have 3. Arai, HJC and Bell. Theyíre all three world class. I could be endlessly happy with any of them. The HJC is the ďeasyĒ helmet. Itís utterly feather weight. Uncannily so. Itís the ďIím not wearing a helmetĒ feel. It fits snug but very, very comfortable. Itís ventilation is the most ďnoticeableĒ although Iím not sure itís the best. Itís visor system is flawless (as in easy) although pretty darn flimsy. The optics are good but the worst of the bunch. Itís still without doubt a world class helmet and itís a good looking lid as well. Itís not Snell but it is ECE. I believe Snell rejected it on weight alone.

The Arai fits similarly to the HJC although heavier and a bit of pressure on the forehead. I donít ďfeelĒ the venting as well but Iím pretty sure the helmet is actually much better at keeping my head cool. Itís venting system just puts air in better places Iíd suspect. The optics are good (as good as the Shoei) MUCH, much better than the HJC. Itís 2015 Snell and ECE. The Arai visor system however may well be the single worst Iíve ever encounter. Itís HORRIBLE. If I could repeat the word horrible a hundred times here it wouldnít tell the story. There are times at a red light Iím simply unable to get the visor up. Iíve even put the helmet on (off the bike) just to try and practice. A world class helmet inevitably and hopelessly doom by that design. Canít imagine how this happened.

The sleeper, the Bell Star. Let me get the only down-sides outta the way first. Itís simply the heaviest of the bunch. Itís by no means heavy but it is noticeably heavier especially if you ride with the HJC or Arai first. Itís a tad narrow. Itís harder to get on but once on doesnít feel that way. EVERYTHING else about the helmet is superior. Everything. Comfortable with zero hot spots. It vents well (as well as the Shoei, maybe better), but however, not quite as good as the Aria. Whatever interior material theyíre using is light-years ahead of Shoei, Arai or HJC. Itís satin-ish (for lack of better terms), silk-like. Itís the quietest of the bunch. The Double d chin strap is far smoother than the others both in how it feels under the chin and how easy it is to engage. The visor system is by far the smoothest of the bunch..by far, by far, by far. Itís locks in place without effort and then lifts as if it wasnít locked in the first place. Optics are simply in another world. Nothing even remotely in the same ball-park. Every time I put the visor down it just feels like things become massively clearer. Itís 2015 Snell and ECE.

I know the Shoei gets the bulk of praise in the motorcycle world right now but my vote is solidly with the Bell Star.

Just my two cents and your mileage may vary