Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for good cold weather gloves

looking for good cold weather gloves

Hi - lately I seem to be having a hard time finding good gloves and have bought and eventually rejected several pairs before I finally bought a pair of summer gloves at Harley Davidson which I quite like. However my shoulder-season gloves do not fit well. They are a bit baggy and don't fit my fingers closely and I have a hard time feeling the controls. I have been wearing my summer gloves to the point of discomfort this year, just to avoid wearing the warmer ones.

Anyone have gloves they really like and recommend? I don't care about armour all that much but waterproof is a must. My hands are quite large. I'm looking for something that'll keep my hand warm down to 5 celsius (41 fahrenheit) - I don't ride when it gets colder than that. I don't mind paying a lot for a well-fitting item, since that is cheaper than endlessly buying gloves I'm ambivalent about and then eventually getting sick of them and replacing them.

thanks!
    2015 Honda CB500X
    2009 Ninja 250 ('Saki')
    2007 Honda CBR125 (sold)
    http://www.vancouvermusictheory.com

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    I have a pair of Alpinestars C-10 Drystar gloves which I don't particularly recommend. They're warm and waterproof, but thick and awkward feeling.

Oxford handlebar muffs are surprisingly effective, but also awkward and silly looking.

I'm debating heated grips or heated gloves at the moment.

Anyone who lives in NC with a lick of sense would know to keep his mouth closed when two Canadians are talking "winter gloves" ... but. I swear by heated grips. I have been caught out soooo many times ... when heated grips were my salvation. Even not having a properly warm jacket is somewhat compensated for with warm hands. Worth the price times 10 ... And you always have them with you when you realize those heated gloves are home in the closet ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Heated grips AND something to deflect the wind off of your hands. I have both... unfortunately, not on the same motorcycle.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Warning! Use of this ingredient in ways not listed on the package is called 'cooking'. Do so at your own risk!"

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    I have been really happy with a set of H-D FXRG winter gloves. A cinch (one-handed operable) at the back of the gauntlet is a very nice touch. I get these out when temperatures are dipping into the low 40F range.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    I swear by Dainese Goretex. Pricy though.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

do you guys find the Dainese and FXRG gloves bulky at all?
    2015 Honda CB500X
    2009 Ninja 250 ('Saki')
    2007 Honda CBR125 (sold)
    http://www.vancouvermusictheory.com

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    I have an older pair of Joe Rocket Thinsulate-lined gloves that are good by themselves into the 30's. 75 gram IIRC. Combined with heated grips I was good to the mid teens, but only for about 1/2 an hour. When I added the hand wing fairing / windshield extensions to the C14, I was quite comfortable deep into the single digits, because the wind wasn't stealing all the heat faster than the grips could grow it out. Before the hand wings, I'd get off the bike and have warm palms, but the backs of my fingers were really, really cold. Some sort of dirt bike bark buster or similar may be adaptable to your bike, and can do wonders for creating a pocket of still air for your hands to sit in.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    No issues with the FXRGs.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    No problem with Dainese A*s I had briefly were indeed bulky.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".