Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Vstar 250 or new 2015 vstar 650

2018 Vstar 250 or new 2015 vstar 650

First off, thanks for allowing me to join and my apologies for (i'm sure) asking a multiple redundant question hehe.

A little about me. 48, 5'8" 154lbs. Never owned a bike, but rode something like a 400cc back in the 80's of my cousins a little bit.

I've been riding a friends grom around, very fun little thing, and have ridden a ninja 250 briefly.

Learned one thing--cruiser bike. Don't believe those sport bikes are for me.

I am very apprehensive about bikes weighing over 450lbs, but have learned that some are balanced quite well and do not feel that heavy. I have sat on, and keep looking at a new 2018 vstar 250, have watched lots of youtube videos, especially Erik Lund down in Panama (speaking of which, if you're on this board, please contact me, I have questions)
    I am currently trying to find a local vstar 650 just to sit on, so far no luck. I do not think I would have any problems handling this bike at all.

I don't care about going over 60mph just want something to piddle around my area with and just enjoy the ride. There might be a need to occasionally go 65 to 70, but no time soon, as I can avoid those roads by choice.

It's taken me 3 months to figure out what type bike (cruiser) and engine (v-twin) Oh how I wish yamaha would make a 400 or 500cc v-twin cruiser, that would be an easy choice. I do not want a single cylinder or parallel twin.

From following Mr Lund, it appears an exhaust change out with baffles, and sprocket change with the 250 will do me just fine, but I'm not sure on the possible power that might be required. If anyone owns a vstar 250, might chime in on this one as I'm sure it's not as powerful as that ninja 250 I rode.
    The price on both bikes are about the same, but the 650 is out of state. Most of the riders around here are telling me that I will get bored with the 250 within 3 months, but as I'm not out on highway traffic and just piddling on back roads, as that's all I want to do anyways, not to mention I'm not into speed on a motorcycle. I don't mind pushing my camaro to 150 but got anxious pushing my old dune buggy to 75.

If any of this made any sense, I'm asking for thoughts, pros cons. As they say, an informed decision is a wise one.

Thanks again.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    are you aware that Yamaha discontinued production of the V-star line?
    https://rideapart.com/articles/say-g...ar-motorcycles

I too am very apprehensive about bikes weighing over 450lbs

and yet they still make a 250 V-star for 2018

which by the way looks to be powered by a chinese built motor fitted with a very tiny single carburetor.

After all the research I've been doing, someone still makes the 250 haha.

I'm thinking toward the 650 and bite the bullet and just learn and ride on it. Going to look at a used one this morning, but the deal on the new 2015 keeps calling me. Wet weight is around 540lbs I think? yeah, might as well go trial by fire and just do it lol.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Yamaha pulled the plug on Star as a separate brand, but there's no change to the actual product lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain J View Post
    After all the research I've been doing, someone still makes the 250....
    yes they do, it's called the Lifan LF250 and it's made in Chonquing

I have just one thing thing to say. MSF Basic Riders Course. Don't ride without it ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you're looking at the recently discontinued 650 V-Star take a peek at the 600 Shadows...those were discontinued in 2007 but they enjoyed a 20 year production run before that, as such they are readily available and at amazing low market-retail prices on any of them. Similar bang for a lot less buck.

However, like any bargain bike, steer clear of the amateur customs AKA hack jobs. If it's been dismantled, sawzalled, and/or rattle canned then you must run...don't walk, run as fast as you can. Rent a Ferrari if you must find more evasion speed, because such bikes are problems looking for places to happen.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Appreciate all the advice (safety course is in the works)

I actually decided on the Yamaha 2018 Vstar 250--the same one I've been looking at for awhile.
    I rode a vulcan S around the neighborhood and didn't feel as comfortable as I thought I should have, and the vstar 650 has been apart on the dealerships floor for 2 days.
    Went with the better part of valor and got the small one. Fits me just fine and gonna learn on it and upgrade when ready.

This is a sweet little vtwin, I have to admit that. From my perspective, plenty of torque, and plenty of speed for where I will be riding. Even let my friend that has the vulcan ride it around, he actually liked it lol.

Good stuff!
    Post pictures if you can find somebody to host them, we like motorcycle pictures.

and stick around because in about 18 months time you are going to be asking how you clean your carburetor