Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for insight into my first bike....

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gcmoore55 View Post
    Just everyones thoughts on why the CTX700 DCT is bad for beginners? I just browsed the dealer again this evening and canít get over how comfortable it felt.
    The general wisdom on this site is that beginning with something that is smaller and lighter will allow you to develop skills faster. This will make you safer and will help you develop the skills to ride two-up faster.

That general wisdom is consistent with my experience. I have a Versys 650 and a Harley Softail which would both be considered worse for a novice than the CTX700. I feel like I am "safe" on both of those bikes so long as I recognize their risk factors and ride accordingly. However, they leave me more exposed to making mistakes and I have made mistakes on both. I am also more tentative on those bikes in developing skills. I take the KLX and DRZ out for skill work and the confidence I gain from working on skills on the small / lighter bikes helps me build my skills on the bikes that are more intimidating. I even work on skills on my bicycle.

The CTX700 is over 500 lbs compared to the TW200 or Ninja 250 that are around 300 lbs. You will develop handling confidence much faster on the smaller lighter bikes.

Weight increases the risk of failing to make a corner if you carry a little too much speed into it and increases the risk of braking blunders. OTOH, the CTX700 with anti-lock brakes would mitigate braking risk to a degree.

So the question to ask yourself is; "is it worth starting with something smaller and lighter to accelerate your learning curve?"

If you are diligent in your skills practicing, perhaps you would not need to wait long to move up to something bigger. I would also check insurance costs on the CTX700 vs something smaller. In your area, you are getting the end of riding season. Perhaps you pick up something small and cheap. Work on skills all winter when weather permits. Then in the spring move up to something more suitable to your objectives. Or maybe you spend just a few months in the fall on the small bike and get a good deal on the next bike in January and February.

Sorg67 makes some good points and I'll add just one more. What a rider thinks he'll like before he starts riding and what he determines he really likes a few months into it are frequently quite different.

If you spend $8,000 on a new bike like the CTX700 ... you will be either stuck with it ... or take a heck of a financial hit when you sell it. If you chunk down 2 large on a smaller used bike you will probably get most of that back when you sell it and have a more focused idea what you want a few motorcycle miles down the road.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    Sorg67 makes some good points and I'll add just one more. What a rider thinks he'll like before he starts riding and what he determines he really likes a few months into it are frequently quite different.
    And how!

And then, second year it's yet all different again. And again...
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".