Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hittin' the Twisties with My Son

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar

Hittin' the Twisties with My Son

As sad as it is that it is only our 3rd ride together since my son obtained his motorcycle permit 5 months ago, we still had a super fun ride today up Mt Lemmon. As has been the case, I was a little nervous this morning before we left, hoping nothing bad would happen to my youngest. The struggle between my mom mode and my motorcyclist mode is very real.

But after we hit the first curve of 25 miles and seeing the confidence and smoothest by which he navigated the Ninjette, my fear dissipated. MSF class and his seemingly natural abilities were fun to watch. And while we have only ridden 2 other times, today felt like we've ridden a lifetime together out on the street. I am one proud mama. It was such a great morning.

To keep consistent and in the name of my son's education, we kept on with the Ride to Eat motto. Breakfast at the Sawmill Run Restaurant at the top of Mt Lemmon (Summerhaven) was actually very good. I have a photo of it but for some reason, it posted as a 360 view on facebook and it won't give me the URL for the photo. Rude. Just know it was two yummy omelettes; mine was a veggie and son's was a veggie...with sausage thrown in.

RAWR!! This was son's first twisty ride....and my first twisty ride with the CBR. Fun as heck.

Son lead the whole day and when I said we should stop for a couple of photo ops on the way back down the mtn, he suggested this spot ... where he and I had spread my mom's ashes 8 years ago. My mom's birthday was this past Friday, so while I refrained from hugging and kissing the 15 year old in public, I was happy he suggested the spot.

We took a little hike back into the big rocks and such (it was gnarlier terrain than I remember). I made mention that I didn't remember it being so challenging last time. Without missing a beat, son said, "You were younger then." Lil punk.

The view from the huge rock from which I nearly pushed the lil punk.. I mean....where we had spread her ashes...are not too shabby.

My "baby" is a lot taller now than he was 8 years ago when we originally spread the ashes. (And, yes, he IS riding a Ninjette while wearing cowboy boots. )

We put 105 miles on the bikes today, about half of those were twisties. I know I am biased, but I am incredibly proud of my son and his good choices on the bike at only 15 years old. And I appreciate him still hanging out with this ole lady.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    That sounds like a great ride with your son! You have a right to be proud of him. I am happy for you that he is engaging in motorcycling with you! It has been quite awhile since I have been on here (work has been eating me up the past 6 months or so), so I missed that you had gotton a new bike. Congrats on the CBR! Do you like it as well as the Weestrrom?
    2009 Kawi Vulcan 500 LTD- Woodrow

The CBR is, of course, different from the Strom, which is what I wanted. I still love the Strom. I wanted a fun lil bike to tool around on, though, with him on the Ninjette. And I am hoping we do some track days, too.

I had been looking for an RC390 but was having zero luck and then was looking at the 300 cc bikes (Ninja/CBR). Then this leftover popped up at one of the dealerships about an hour from our house. It seemed perfect.

The CBR is incredibly smooth and fun in the twisties. It is not something I will use for long rides (wind noise and storage lacking...and the seat...lol) but for something like this ride, it is exactly what I was looking for.

And? The white paint is all sparkly in the sun. What more could a girl want?
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250

Has he called you "shorty" yet?
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Nice - looks like a blast!
    2017 Honda CRF250l
    1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Sold
    2001 KLR 650 - Sold
    2004 ST1300 - Sold
    2002 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Bull1189 View Post
    Nice - looks like a blast!
    It is, indeed, once my mom mode calms down. He is off this week and next so I really want to play hooky and do another ride with him but the College is keeping me too busy right now. Dang it! Going on a ride on Monday with a long lost girlfriend and I'm sure he doesn't want to hear us hens so I'm hoping I can find another day next week to take leave.

You let that boy do a trackday or two and on future rides yah better plan a meet-up place because all you'll see of him is his taillight disappearing down the road ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    You let that boy do a trackday or two and on future rides yah better plan a meet-up place because all you'll see of him is his taillight disappearing down the road ...
    And when she arrives at said place, she’s gonna do a smack down on him and take the keys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2015 HD Dyna Low
    2015 Ninja 300

Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    I suspect this to be the case, too....even with me participating in the track day, too.

He has his road test for his car license on 10/18. He is SOOO excited to be able to actually drive his Bronco that he's been putting blood, sweat, tears and all of his money into for the past 2+ years. His mc permit will convert to a license, also, since he has the MSF class. They make the 15 year olds wait til they are 16 to add the full endorsement, even if they completed the BRC here.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    I might know where there will be a trackday on 10/22...