Thread: Angeles Crest Highway

Flirting With The Redline

Angeles Crest Highway

Just a quick distilled video of Saturday up in Angeles National Forest. It's nothing to particularly get excited about and I edited it with just scenery in mind. I know there are a handful here that ride it fairly frequently. Probably boring to most but I thought I'd link anyway. We've been quiet around here recently

The ride is from La Canada up to unfortunately yet another fatal (that's four consecutive rides my buddy and I have come across a fatal) up near the "Station" burn area, named after a massive brush fire a decade ago. Turned around at the accident site and took Upper Big Tujunga Canyon back around.

I dunno what to say about the obvious and horrendous level of danger Angeles Crest presents. It's insidious as do run up there on a Wednesday morning and with a modicum of concentration it's the most glorious simple motorcycle ride one can imagine. But on the weekends the energy spools up, the street Rossi's come out, the Fast and a Furious kids are out, the guys with the Lamborghini's and Ferrari's are there and there's also a gaggle of tourist. It's a canyon so gravel and rocks are always present and of course the amount of disappearing radius's is endless. The Sheriffs do all they can but I'm bettin my bottom dollar, on average there's a fatal every Saturday and Sunday year round.

I may well be gettin too old for The Crest.

https://vimeo.com/233237296

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    I went on a weekday, too. Similarly quiet.
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    I may well be gettin too old for The Crest...
    So get a dirt bike and ride the ditches some of that terrain looks awesome

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    A popular (dry) river side road out here became too popular some years back. The Sheriff's Dept. tried lowering the speed limit a couple of times but that did not work. Finally, they had the county just quit repaving the road. Holes and cracks are patched, but now the pavement is so eroded, and the approaches to many turns so bumpy, there are now few crashes.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The nice thing about being retired or working non-traditional schedules, is that you can run these roads during off peak times without worrying about idiots. We have a few canyon roads that draw wannabe-rossis on weekends interspersed with parade Harleys and coming up on leaf peeping season and it's become an exercise in frustration. Ann and I simply avoid the madness and ride off peak. If we have to ride on weekends I dial it way back and just look at scenery and stop often for coffee.
    Last edited by asp125; 09-12-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

A couple thoughts....No doubt Trials a dirt bike might be the better answer up there as running off road seems to be the major culprit in many problems

AZrider. The Sheriff and CHip's have tried virtually everything possible. They lowered the speed limit on the lower part of the forest but up above Mt. Wilson it's back up to 55. Which of course means the street Rossi's are doing 85 and 90. They setup safety checkpoints (just to slow things down). They run Sheriff patrols with their red lights flashing (again just to slow things down). The Chip's motorcycle brigades are really large (call it a fleet) but still to no avail. They can't let it run into disrepair because its a State Highway and connects various upper Los Angeles communities to the valley. Don't know what the answer is here...tough one.

Yea asp125 over the years I've b-lined up there on an off day that fell in the middle of the week and it's an epic ride to be sure. Honestly I should have known better than to go up there Saturday. Like I mentioned the three previous rides up there we came across a fatal. My gut Saturday morning told me not to go and I'm embarrassed I didn't heed that inner warning. I usually do. I wanted to stretch the legs of the new bike and I wanted to see how it handles Angeles Crest so I pushed through. Obviously a mistake. I almost ALWAYS turn back if I sense something is off. By the time we got to the bottom of the mountain the Shell station probably had 35 sport bikes lined up for gas and that was 8:30 am. I should have broke it off right then and there. I'll put the whole experience in my back pocket as yet another lesson learned.
    Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 09-12-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Have to go up to a buddies house on BigBear Lake Saturday. Just might ride ACH to get there...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Have to go up to a buddies house on BigBear Lake Saturday. Just might ride ACH to get there...
    As you should Still one of the most remarkable stretches of run ever. Have fun, be safe!

Sad to say, but I had cargo to bring up the hill, so I ended up taking a car...oh well, next time I won't be denied!
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.