Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm gettin oh so close

Flirting With The Redline

I'm gettin oh so close

I'm gonna buy a new bike this upcoming week The Monster is tentatively sold and it's now down to the same two machines I talked about 3 or 4 months ago.

First is the Ducati SuperSport which I rode for the second time yesterday. It is an undeniably fantastic machine of which Ducati has addressed a couple of issues which many have struggled with for years. The fueling in 1st and 2nd gear is really pretty darn smooth. That in and of itself is a game changer for those who wish to ride both aggressively and passively around town. It now has a fuel gauge and gear indicator neither of which I've ever wanted but it does bring the bike into the present with the competition. It's far, far more upright than a Panigale but it is by no means a laid back ride. You're still commit forward but once out in the canyons the seating position is utterly perfect. When it comes to handling my experience with Ducati's is they dare you to test how good they are. They certainly don't (at first) inspire much confidence. It's only after you press the bike into action you realize just how good it is but getting there takes an initial leap of faith. It's probably (all things considered) the best handling bike I've encountered that not a true SupeBike posture. It's typical Ducati "yank your arms out at the shoulder" torque and it's fast. Same nutso fast as the Monster. At some angles it's the best looking bike on the planet, other angles decidedly not so much. It does, without doubt, get folks attention though.

Then there's the Street Triple.

Took some time last week and I pilgrimaged north to ride the 2018 Street Triple (low). I rode it hard and I was really pleased that I could not tell a difference from the stock R. It was a test ride of course so I didn't get ridiculous but as far as suspension and ground clearance that's clearly not going to be an issue. The only issue noticeable was the seat was not as comfort as the regular Street Triple R. For those here that are interested the bike is totally manageable in this configuration. Short (no pun intended) of that the bike does what Street Triples do. The opposite of the Ducati the Street installs an instant sense of confidence. It's velvety smooth. Fueling is impeccable. As I mentioned after my first couple rides on a Triple it's docile until you ask it not to be docile. It's viciously smooth. Again opposite the Ducati the handling doesn't require a leap of faith before proving itself. Like many aspects of the bike it hangs out bait which is virtually impossible to ignore and that goes well beyond just the aspect of handling. It's insidious in its need to go fast. I'd guess if one was concerned about such issues on the Triple one would be more inclined to get into trouble. The Street Triple makes a glorious noise but so too does the SuperSport and I'd think that'd be a tie. The Triples instrument cluster is eons beyond the Ducati but like I said that doesn't mean too much in my world. I guess a fuel gauge would be handy now and again but I'm passive either way. The Pearl White Triple I rode was really, really beautiful but way understated compared to the white and red SuperSport I rode. Ducati's have a way of announcing themselves and the Triple clearly doesn't do that.

In the end it's the StreetTriple and honestly it's not even close. The SuperSport is a world class bike and I do believe I'll miss the riding experience Ducati's give but mercy what a machine this StreetTriple is.

Stand by

Sorry for the double post folks. This one has better grammar

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    It's like my struggle between Ducati Diavel and Triumph Street Twin. At the end, I am keeping both
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interesting that you picked the standard Triple instead of the R and RS.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Interesting that you picked the standard Triple instead of the R and RS.
    Oh no sorry....it is an R, just not a stock R. Delivers tomorrow

New bike day

I've gotta get past the honeymoon period and then I'll give a couple updates and observations. Sad to see the big twin Monster go but I believe I'll be faster and smoother on the Street Triple (you know.....if you're into that kinda thing).

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Congratulations! I haven't done anything further to find the 3R-low. I'm having some hip issues that I have to get serious about rehabbing before I can think about trading bikes. But, I reserve the right to completely change my mind without notice.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2015 HD Dyna Low
    2015 Ninja 300

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal LabRat View Post
    Congratulations! I haven't done anything further to find the 3R-low. I'm having some hip issues that I have to get serious about rehabbing before I can think about trading bikes. But, I reserve the right to completely change my mind without notice.
    Yea get well soon as this whole riding motorcycles gets to be tough without a working hip I took Norty's advice several weeks back and went down to L.A. Cyclesports (down in Inglewood). Really the best advice I've had in years. I'd had some pretty typical dealership run arounds elsewhere here in town but from the instant I talked to these guys they were amazingly on the ball. It was an effortless process (aside from parting with my cash) top to bottom.

As of Thursday L.A. Cyclesports had a black Triple R (low ride height) still in stock but I think dealerships might be underestimating interest in this bike as apparently someone has already made an initial offer.

As for the bike and what I can tell you so far, particularly pertaining to the low ride height vs stock. Visually you can't tell the difference. Looks completely stock. The ride height (believe it or not) is about the same as a stock Monster 1200, probably a testament of just how tall the stock 2018 Triple really is. As I mentioned in an earlier post we measured the stock seat height at just over 33". The low ride height (I'm guessing) is just over 31". I'll have it out and about this weekend (heat and fires permitting) and will draw some further conclusions from there.

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Oh crap oh crap oh crap...called a local shop where I bought my Tiger. They have the low in Silver. Some interest but nobody has put any money down on it. Now I'm checking the traffic to see how bad it would be to get down there.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2015 HD Dyna Low
    2015 Ninja 300

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal LabRat View Post
    Oh crap oh crap oh crap...called a local shop where I bought my Tiger. They have the low in Silver. Some interest but nobody has put any money down on it. Now I'm checking the traffic to see how bad it would be to get down there.
    DO EET! End of season pricing? SMAS is contagious I tell ya. Here, let me cough in your direction.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."