Thread: My bike keeps making a clicking sound...

My bike keeps making a clicking sound...

I am a new rider who just purchased a brand new Honda Rebel 500 last weekend. The few times I've ridden my bike, it makes a clicking sound after I brake and begin to accelerate. Today, I thought the bike was about to stall out as I kept revving the throttle, but it stopped once I got the speed up a bit faster.

Since the bike is new and I'm not very experienced, I'm pretty sure I'm the problem here, and my bike is doing just fine. Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Clicking? Or chattering like it's in too high of a gear for the speed you're going?

Are you downshifting as you slow down to match the gear to your speed?

If it's doing it when you just release the throttle then re-apply the throttle to speed up you may be in too high of a gear for the speed you're travelling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus98345 View Post
    I am a new rider who just purchased a brand new Honda Rebel 500 last weekend. The few times I've ridden my bike, it makes a clicking sound after I brake and begin to accelerate. Today, I thought the bike was about to stall out as I kept revving the throttle, but it stopped once I got the speed up a bit faster.

Since the bike is new and I'm not very experienced, I'm pretty sure I'm the problem here, and my bike is doing just fine. Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong?
    So is this a ticking noise on a nearly new machine and it only manifests when the rear wheel is under harder acceleration forces?

If yes; things I would inspect Immediately: Is your axle tight / still look aligned straight?
    are sprocket bolts all intact and is your chain tension correct

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Is it possible this is just normal chain noise?

If you don't have a knowledgeable friend who can check it out for you, I'd be tempted to bring it back to the dealer and ask them to have a listen. You've just spent several thousand dollars, they should be willing to take a minute to listen to you ride around the parking lot.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Your motorcycle has many components which are loaded in one direction when braking and then the opposite direction when accelerating. It could be something as minor as the front brake pads shifting in the caliper (maybe annoying, but not serious), to mis-adjusted steering head bearings (potentially hazardous). It is worth having someone knowledgeable do a test ride.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    At the very least, it's a new bike...with a new bike warranty. Take it to the dealership and see what they say about it.

New bikes ship partially disassembled, so it is entirely possible one of the "shop boys" didn't get something right when putting the front end together after it was un-crated.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com