Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My considerations for 1st Bike

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    When I took my beginner’s course the instructor confirmed the gear requirement *in the course* is an explicit trade-off of safety against heat. What they recommend for the real world is a higher standard than what they require in the parking lot. That’s Canada Safety Council rather than MSF, but I suspect the same philosophy applies.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    Regarding the three-quarter helmet, have you seen this graphic? It illustrates the likelihood of any given part of your head suffering an injury in a crash. Something to think about.
    I whipped up an alternative graphic that illustrates a similar premise. Rather than what the FF protects you from, instead it depicts what an open helmet allows:

Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    You get used to changing boots as you get used to riding, just with time. Ankle reconstruction surgery is one of the most difficult areas of orthopedis, and success rate is not very high. A fellow rider here went down at 15 mph leaving a gas station, motorcycle felt on his leg, broke ankle in multiple places, was not able to work for a year, went through several surgeries and long rehabilitation, and will limp forever. Lost almost everything he owned or saved. He was wearing motorcycle boots, but with minimal armor. After seeing his x-rays I went and bought the best riding boots money can buy.

Gloves are really no brainer - armored motorcycle gloves are at least as comfy as work gloves, have better protection from cold and rain, and are cheap.

Pants - anything not motorcycle-rated will be shredded instantly, and your skin and bones will be next. At very least, get motorcycle jeans with kevlar, but real motorcycle pants are much better.

Jacket - same thing, plus landing on your side or back without armor is likely to break something.

You may never go down and never need any of those, but is it the risk worth taking? It may be not even your fault, some idiot twitting cager may dart across lines of traffic into your path.

Too expensive? Buy used on craigslist, it's full of gear from wannabes who gave up riding after a few tries. Make sure it has never been in accident.

Why learn on your mistakes when you can learn on mistakes of others?
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    This looks like a good article on boots. I have three pair. None of them have as much protection as I would really like. I am thinking about getting another pair that offer more protection than what I have.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/r...torcycle-boot/

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    That head smash graphic might be on the right track, seems like most of my head injuries have been to the left side of my face and near the cheek bone I wonder if that is because the world is largely right handed so we tend to crumple and rag doll towards the weaker arm on impact

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Gotta love a conversation that includes the phrase “most of my head injuries”.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    baseball bat left side of face, baseball bat left side of face, snowmobile/cloths lined me left side of face, suzuki 80 tank slapper, exit through car windshield in car collision (that one looked identical to the suzuki 80 wipeout, road rash on left side of face and concussion),drove my head into a low basement door frame once when I was running to answer a phone, a horse thru me and I scared up the left side of my face again! then there was the blueberry mountain face plant into the vertical rock face (wheelies save lives!) that one knocked my open face helmet right off my head, was sort of a direct frontal, the last one was from Jordan Szoke's triple tree hitting me in the left side of the face! I think that's all of my serious head injuries. Helmets saved my skull probably another 10 times from certain damage. There was those 2 motorcycle crashes on my helmet in the pits right in a row helmets rock ( those 2 crashes proved the if you do something that is certain to crash, the second attempt will yield identical results) then there was an assortment of crashes in the back of the head fortunately while wearing a helmet. I was wearing an open face trials helmet doing some chain saw work once and dropped the top off a tree straight down onto the top of my head (fortunately I was standing on about 2 or 3 feet of snow) I think that one made me a little shorter without the snow I would be the full 2 feet shorter and by rights I guess I should now have a hideous left side of my face.