Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coming Kawasaki z900rs Retro

Hittin' The Twisties buzzyclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    I sorta like it, but between Triumph Bonneviless and Yamaha XSR700/900, what is the niche for this bike?
    I think it is for people that want a bit more than just nod to the past with a modern performance standard than the XSR gives, but don't want to go back to the 60s with the Triumphs. The return of the 70s UJM's.

They've been bringing back 70s muscle cars for a few years (Challenger, Equus Bass 770, etc.). Was hoping they'd do the same with the muscle bikes of the 70s and early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzyclone View Post
    I think it is for people that want a bit more than just nod to the past with a modern performance standard ...

Yep ... I'll be very interested in what the test rides come back with. It seems to have the right features for a very sporty retrobike ... not just sporty looking. I don't mind giving up mega horsepower (which is mostly unusable on the street anyway) but I want decent suspension, brakes and cornering clearance(I hope they designed the centerstand well. I love a centerstand ... except when it grounds out in a corner). And I want wheels in a size I can fit really good tires on ... I'm not looking for 6-7,000 mile tires on a bike like this ... I want traction.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    I was under the impression that XSR has much better suspension.
    You could be right - Iíve seen conflicting information on this. Supposedly the XSR has better suspension than the first few years of FZ, but they put the XSR suspension in the FZ so now theyíre equivalent. No idea if thatís actually true.

Clearly this needs to be resolved by a road test!

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    You could be right - I’ve seen conflicting information on this. Supposedly the XSR has better suspension than the first few years of FZ, but they put the XSR suspension in the FZ so now they’re equivalent. No idea if that’s actually true.

Clearly this needs to be resolved by a road test!
    I am afraid to do it because I am likely to end up with another bike in my garage...
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! midknyte's Avatar
    Motorcycle.com: 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS First Ride Review. http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...de-review.html
    Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear!

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! midknyte's Avatar
    Cycle World Daily: Kawasaki's Z900RS Is Not a Record-Breaking Superbike, and That's Okay. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwz43wlDc
    Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear!

Interesting that the two reviewers had such different impressions of the throttle. One wrote quite a lot about how twitchy and abrupt the off-idle response is, the other thought it was fine. I wonder if thatís inconsistency between bikes or just the reviewers.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would say it comes down to the reviewers.

My Councours is derided by Bike Magazine's reviewers for "snatchy" throttle. The only time I've been able to replicate the flat spot they claim it has is through what I consider abuse of the throttle (close throttle completely, then roll hard to full throttle, within a certain RPM range after an upshift). If you're smooth on the throttle, there is no flat spot.

Of course, they also lament that it only gets 40 miles per (imperial) gallon, which would be 32MPG US... I get 42-45 miles per US gallon.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Could be the bike is just fine and the motorcycle journalism is broken.

I suppose it could also be that, being pre-production machines, the test bikes didnít all have the same throttle map.