Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Camera Recommendations

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Any vids from the Sena Prism yet so we can check out the quality?
    I'm awfully close. I would've purchased one yesterday if they had them in stock locally. I had another cuss fest at my GoPro and GoPro remote before today's ride. I don't ride with my glasses and the remote was giving me some kind of error code too small for me to see. As it usually does. I had to shut the bike down, take off my helmet, take off my gloves, get my keys out and go into the house to get my glasses just to see what was (yet again) not working. Infuriating. There's a bunch of new camera's due out any day now and I may wait but honestly a good crisp picture without enormous fuss is all I really need. Stand by..

Hittin' The Twisties buzzyclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Any vids from the Sena Prism yet so we can check out the quality?
    Ended up with a Sena Prism Tube. Works great so far and not bad video with a simple no fuss on/off camera. Put in a 32 GB micro SD Card to cover the commute. Great mounting options for the camera/mic/speaker and I really like the low profile as well. Couple of photos and video here (I'm no motovlogger)...

Hittin' The Twisties buzzyclone's Avatar
    One more video test in shade since that mostly showed directly going into the sun with a bit of lense flare. Little bit more fish-eye than I normally like but I guess it's the price for wide vision. Don't mind my coughing up a lung there for a second.
    Last edited by buzzyclone; 08-16-2017 at 07:54 PM.

One good thing with your vid (and the Sena) is it appears to have a deeper depth of field than a GoPro. It's hard to tell for sure on YouTube though. I also like how inconspicuous it is. The one thing I notice however is the Sena processor seems pretty slow compared to GoPro and honestly I think thats where and why GoPro is still king. I'm splitting' hairs here and I'm pretty sure the Sena would be fantastic for most rides especially considering the ease of use factor!

Just watched "Why Roadglides Suck" on youtube rabbit hole. Actually, very informative. Like wearing sweatpants...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Good test footage. Yes, the second test looks betters as the hard sun in the first was making the White's slightly hot, and the shadows somewhat thin. Nothing color correction can't fix.

I just got a second camera, a Tec. Bean 4K. It's cheap ($47.00), but came with tons of mounting accessories compatible with GoPros. I want to use it just to have a second angle while I'm motorvlogging. I've shot some test and plan to post them to my channel soon.

Sena makes great cameras. You're going to have loads of fun shooting. Post more footage when you get a chance.

- Wolf

So....not sure where I've been but it appears that GoPro has a remote that's been on the market for a year or so called "Remo". It's a voice activated remote control that's small enough to fit into a motorcycles helmet. By all accounts it appears to work remarkably well. A caveat is it only works with the 5 series GoPro's. Still if "Remo" can eliminate the endless dancing I do to get things recording without taking off my gear I'm all in. GoPro still does the most amazing video......hopeful.

So itís been a fairly interesting journey for me since last anyone contributed to this thread. As Iíve mentioned previously the GoPro MO is at very least cumbersome when in full gear. Getting things started and or stopped was usually an exercise in failure unless I took all my gear off. Conversely I disvovered Remo (Go Proís single button or voice activated remote) which outwardly seemed to address my frustrations. Start and stop with gear on was the goal. I took a leap of faith and purchased a Remo and a GoPro Session 5. On paper this looked like a great solution. Unfortunately the Session 5 was an utter disaster. So many thing just didnít work including a simple fundamental wi-fi hookup. In hindsight Iím bettiní I just had a bad Session 5 but I was so enormously frustrated I packed the whole thing up in a plastic bag and took it back to Best Buy. I expected a battle with the return but low and behold it was ďno questions askedĒ. I was so happy with their response I decided to double down and try a new Hero 6. Best move ever 😎

Itís smooth when it comes to interconnectivity (GoPro app, Remo or my old GoPro remote). Itís color correction is ďpoppyĒ for sure but it looks great and saves massive time when it comes to color correction. Itís depth of field is deeper so the canyons have some genuine space they hadnít before. But the biggest surprise however is the image stabilization. Itís been rather soundly panned by critics but for what I do itís a Titanic leap, TITANIC, from where I was previously with the Hero 4. Im looking at Hero 4 footage compared to Hero 6 footage and itís just difficult to watch. Choppy at best.

Here is Saturdayís ride with zero post production except transitions

I agree, the footage looks amazing and smooth. Are you using protons for color correction? Also, no flat spots in the whites so it looks like you're getting good detail and exposer. Are you shooting at 60 fps, or standard 30?

- Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by scooterwolf View Post
    I agree, the footage looks amazing and smooth. Are you using protons for color correction? Also, no flat spots in the whites so it looks like you're getting good detail and exposer. Are you shooting at 60 fps, or standard 30?

- Wolf
    No color correction. Straight out of the camera. Also note this was fairly early in the morning and out in those canyons extreme bright to really dark is common. The video I posted last week I made the comment of just how VERY difficult it was to see and make judgements because of the really crazy differences between bright and dark. The GoPro did better than I. Even the bikes TFT screen was having trouble figuring out if it was day or night. You absolutely can see the sensors adjusting but for a $500.00 camera the GoPro simply excels especially when ripping along on a motorcycle. This was 1080p 60fps but there have been times when I think 30fps turned out better. 2.7 is always just stunning as a raw file but itís difficult to work with and by the time itís rendered and outputted itís not yet worth the effort UNLESS I just wanna watch the files at home un-processed.

The GoPro 6 got (by and large) good reviews but for me and what I want this is a spectacular camera.