Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Camera Recommendations

Hittin' The Twisties buzzyclone's Avatar

Helmet Camera Recommendations

Looking at a new helmet camera since my old XDReplay mini1080 died and wondering if anybody likes a certain kind. Started to kind of home in on the Sena Prism Tube due to it's simpleness and lower profile...

I can't say I like a certain model, but I chose the Countour ROAM3, because it has a similar design to the one you posted. That said, the mic is crap. The Sena you posted has a true mic and would be better if you're providing commentary as you ride.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor
    Undercover Task Force

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

They all seem to be pretty good videowise, it's the audio quality that separates the models now.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline
    Nothing currently on the market can compete with a GoPro based strictly on video. Particularly on its very wide field of view. The Sony stuff is creeping closer by the day but when it comes to video quality GoPro is still the king of the jungle.

But video quality is not always the main focus. Ease of use, simplicity and footprint are all very valid parameters. My GoPro 4 Black has given me some of the absolute most stunning rides one could possible imagine BUT it can (and is) a ginormous pain in the butt. The Blue Tooth connectivity is marginal. Some days it works some days it's finiky. The remote control is total garbage. 8 out of 10 rides it fails on some level. If you want to record audio "outside" of the provided case with a wind screen (and I do) it's nearly impossible to hit play (with the provided frame) and have it actually engage in recording. So since the remote sucks and the record button is iffy I've been forced many times to pull over, take my helmet off and wrestle with the start button.

There in lies why I'm kinda interested in the Sena. A simple "on" and a simple "off" mechanism may well eclipse the stunning video quality Go Pro provides in exchange for the teeth mashing if dealing with the GoPro remote environment.

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    Nothing currently on the market can compete with a GoPro based strictly on video. Particularly on its very wide field of view. The Sony stuff is creeping closer by the day but when it comes to video quality GoPro is still the king of the jungle.

But video quality is not always the main focus. Ease of use, simplicity and footprint are all very valid parameters. My GoPro 4 Black has given me some of the absolute most stunning rides one could possible imagine BUT it can (and is) a ginormous pain in the butt. The Blue Tooth connectivity is marginal. Some days it works some days it's finiky. The remote control is total garbage. 8 out of 10 rides it fails on some level. If you want to record audio "outside" of the provided case with a wind screen (and I do) it's nearly impossible to hit play (with the provided frame) and have it actually engage in recording. So since the remote sucks and the record button is iffy I've been forced many times to pull over, take my helmet off and wrestle with the start button.

There in lies why I'm kinda interested in the Sena. A simple "on" and a simple "off" mechanism may well eclipse the stunning video quality Go Pro provides in exchange for the teeth mashing if dealing with the GoPro remote environment.
    This. The GoPros I've owned have all produced far and away the best footage at their price point. FAR and away. Audio on-camera has gotten better, but is still sometimes iffy. "Start" and "Stop"? Sometimes agonizingly frustrating. Best if used at the track or on rides where you start recording, then put your helmet on and ride. While riding? Totally hit or miss.

I like GoPRos but in my opinion their direct camera interface sucks. It's too small and difficult to navigate through. I've been very satisfied with my Drift Ghost-S which, for me is as good as the GoPro's video quality. But more, it has a great external mic port, and a good built in mic as well. I also love the 300 degree rotating lens, it's waterproof, and has still, time lapse, and photo-burst capabilities. But what made me purchase it is its slim, cylindrical design that makes it a better helmet cam than the GoPro.

The new version is 4K quality with a dual microphone, and video (which I hope means optical) stabilization.

- Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by scooterwolf View Post
    I like GoPRos but in my opinion their direct camera interface sucks. It's too small and difficult to navigate through. I've been very satisfied with my Drift Ghost-S which, for me is as good as the GoPro's video quality. But more, it has a great external mic port, and a good built in mic as well. I also love the 300 degree rotating lens, it's waterproof, and has still, time lapse, and photo-burst capabilities. But what made me purchase it is its slim, cylindrical design that makes it a better helmet cam than the GoPro.

The new version is 4K quality with a dual microphone, and video (which I hope means optical) stabilization.

- Wolf
    Yea you know now that you mention it most of the footage I see coming from the Drift stuff looks really good. The video quality does appear to be very similar to the GoPro's.

GoPro's advantage is their Protune app. But if you have an eye for color correction or color grading that may not be a problem. Or if your camera allows you to at least White balance for lighting conditions.

GoPro's other advantage is the're popular, and more readily available is stores like Best Buy, or Target. But the internet also goes a long way in leveling that playing field.

- Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by scooterwolf View Post
    GoPro's advantage is their Protune app. But if you have an eye for color correction or color grading that may not be a problem. Or if your camera allows you to at least White balance for lighting conditions.

GoPro's other advantage is the're popular, and more readily available is stores like Best Buy, or Target. But the internet also goes a long way in leveling that playing field.

- Wolf
    Yea....I gotta tell ya I'm not a fan of ProTune. It's effective occasionally but more often than not it lends itself to a bit of "over-processed" colors and feel. There's a line that gets crossed with both video and stills these days that just feels like over-blown because we can. I lean towards as close as I can to what it really looked like. I use Final Cut and Elements for my simple edits and there's ample color correction and white balancing available to hit upon vibrant yet not comic book color. I do find with the GoPro white balance is critical though. There's probably an explanation and I'm guessin' it's in the camera's processor but GoPro still looks consistently the best. But, as we've discussed, the Drift stuff isn't far behind if at all!

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Any vids from the Sena Prism yet so we can check out the quality?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."