Thread: Oh yeah, I bought another concours

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah, I bought another concours

Lol

2017-07-23 23_57_32-Photo - Google Photos.jpg

So I stumbled on this concours on craigslist. Paid 1200 for it, its a 2002, with 48k miles. Definitely taken care of over her lifetime. The guy I bought it from works at a dealer, paid nearly nothing for it (likely about $500 I'm guessing) because the dealer never puts a 10+ year old bike on their floor. I picked it up from him at a fair price, I dont mind a middle man taking a cut...I still got a fair deal. It needed some stuff, tires mostly, and a fix in the running condition.

In my unprofessional opinion it seemed like it was getting too much air. Ran like a scalded cat, but at low RPMs it hesitated, and you kind of had to rev it like a dirt bike.

I had already decided to get all sorts of stuff done on this bike, and so the work began. I pulled the carbs out and sent them to a guy in FL who commonly rebuilds and upgrades them. From there, I pulled the airbox, because unknown to me it's prone to failure. Well, sure enough, that airbox had no less than 3 major cracks in it. The common fix is to get some black RTV and reinforce the front corners with drywall flashing. Well, I just bought a new airbox from ebay. It came with a few extra parts I was missing anyhow, so it worked out. I did however, do the reinforcement and RTV fixes on that new one. It will hopefully just prevent it in the future.

While the carbs are out, I have replaced the brake pads, flushed the brake and clutch fluids, replaced the final drive oil, adjusted the valves, had the eletrical box rebuilt, and cleaned and re-trimmed the plastic pieces. Pending services are replacing the coolant o-rings, changing the oil, and installing driving LED lights. She truly is going to be awesome running.

Why would I buy another concours?! Well, fact is I have unreliable friends...and unreliable friends dont keep their motorcycles in good running order. So, this is basically a rental bike. For someone to borrow and enjoy whether it be a trip that we're going on together, or not. A lot of folks I know are without bikes right now, for various reasons...OR they have bikes that simply arent up to the task of touring or taking a trip on. So hopefully I will ride it of course, but others will be able to enjoy it as well, while I worked on my concours repair skills.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    I had that same bike/color. It was a fun ride. I only sold it because of having to move it around the garage too much once I bought the Strom. The kids preferred riding on the Strom over the Connie. I also had to think too much about NOT getting into places where I needed to back it up. Even with my inseam, I found myself in trouble a couple of times when I parked it head in, on an incline and had to go backwards uphill. Oops.

Congrats on the acquisition!
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Hittin' The Twisties buzzyclone's Avatar
    Very nice, I've always liked the looks of those. Congratulations!

Flirting With The Redline thud300's Avatar
    Nice find for 1200, that's a steal. Congrats! Connie is a great bike. I like how some folks think it's either a Ninja, or a BMW, then they look again and go "oh".

Did it have a K&N air filter in it? Those are known to cause the airbox to split open unless the retainer is shaved down.
    Returning neglected Kawasakis to riding glory since 2014
    1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera", 1998 Concours "Connimus Prime", 1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
    COG #12068 Member of American Voyager Association #ATGATT or stay home
    my YouTube channel: ToastRider

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thud300 View Post
    Nice find for 1200, that's a steal. Congrats! Connie is a great bike. I like how some folks think it's either a Ninja, or a BMW, then they look again and go "oh".

Did it have a K&N air filter in it? Those are known to cause the airbox to split open unless the retainer is shaved down.
    No, but it will. The new-to-me airbox i got from ebay came with a K&N in it....I just need to get that rubber gasket from them. I never had any problem in my 2006 with my K&N....but I'm not gorilla trying to jam the filter wedge back in with a hammer. As long as the alignment is right, and you fit the filter properly, it shouldn't crack like that. The wedge doesn't take that much pressure to get in, it's just shoddy maintenance if you crack it like that.
    Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Good purchase Derick
    Based solely on the description of your throttle response issue; I would recommend balancing the carburetors and inspecting for very small faults in the vacuum lines. Compromised vacuum pressure could cause it to stumble at low engine speed and a tiny air leak in the intake would cause it to run lean at higher engine speed.

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    Nice find!

Hittin' The Twisties
    Great deal and it's always enjoyable reading about bikes being refurbished. BTW, what are "coolant o-rings"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by postoak View Post
    Great deal and it's always enjoyable reading about bikes being refurbished. BTW, what are "coolant o-rings"?
    The 'coolant logs' on the concours are maintenance points. There is a 'log' on the front and one on the back. They distribute the coolant into the motor. When I removed the valve cover I loosened the rear log to give some additional clearance, and now it is leaking. The orings just need to be replaced.
    Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes: