Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Indian Scout Bobber

Flirting With The Redline DUISparky's Avatar
    Don't let the pictures fool ya. Even an old one-eyed numbskull like me can ride one. If you aren't inherently cool, a Scout won't care. I'll be on mine today.

Shadow ... WTF is that thing????????????????????????????
    2015 Indian Scout First Run #500
    2016 Indian Chief Vintage

Okay, I HAD to go out to Honda's website after seeing that ... whatever the hell it was ... and ... just ... wow ...

I think their design team has been watching way too much anime lately. Just ... wow ...

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anime is exactly what I thought of when I saw it, it looks like a Japanimated turd that ripped the rectum which pinched it as the tapered section with the upright jagged edge departed.

Then there's this...aesthetically it's almost okay but apparently all it takes to define a cruiser these days is taking a naked standard and moving the pegs forward? I guess I didn't get that memo.

Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Yeah, I guess forward controls is all it takes now.

I do like the nostalgic (sort of) look of the CB1100. What's the deal with the Rebel? That fuel tank placement is pretty atrocious. The rest of the bike looks okay, but that tank angle ruins the entire thing for me. The Shadows still look decent. Makes me wonder what they're going to do to "improve" that line ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DUISparky View Post
    Yeah, I guess forward controls is all it takes now.
    Not according to Honda. I'll touch on this in a bit...

I do like the nostalgic (sort of) look of the CB1100.
    So do I. Unfortunately, much like Ford's vain attempt at a retro-Thunderbird it is priced so high that you can easily acquire a near-mint original at auction for less.

What's the deal with the Rebel?
    WARNING --- remember how passionate I was about slamming Honda over the failed VTX? These new models will probably usher in Chapter Two of that book.

So here's the deal: these are variants of the CB/CBR 300 & 500 models kitted out in cruiser guise, if you want to call plunking a tank over a frame a la Ducati cruiser-ish. Or mid-glide foot controls, thus putting this right up there with that aforementioned CTX700. The 300 & 500 models are cruiser-esque sport/standards with mid-mount controls and the CTX is a sport/standard with forward controls. I doubt Honda even realizes what constitutes a cruiser anymore. There, I touched on it as promised.

Technically they're both the same bike, everything is shared between the two save for the CB/CBR 300 and 500 motors. IIRC the frames are slightly different as the motor mounts are welded in different locations to accommodate either mill, but otherwise you can swap any other part from one to the other.

Rather than call it a new model based on the CB/CBR 300 & 500 line (which it is), they plagiarized a successful bike that has over three decades worth of heritage while sharing nothing in the way of its DNA beyond having two wheels...thus earning it the name of "Not Rebel" among the Rebel faithful from those prior 30+ years (which, technically, is a plagiarism of the Not-Valkyrie featured on that cruiser line up, although unlike the Not-Rebel the new Valks are still very much GL1800 based as the original Valks were very much GL1500 based).

The Shadows still look decent.
    Shadow, as in singular tense. Look again, the Aero was discontinued for 2017.

Well, sort of...the surviving Phantom is nothing more than a mish-mash of the Aero and Spirit with the YABOB treatment thrown into the mix in order to further distinguish it as a different yet same model. Technically it's the last incarnation of different pipes/wheels/fenders VTX treatment that was invoked for over a decade to constitute new models.

Makes me wonder what they're going to do to "improve" that line ...
    Believe me, there is a lot of room for improvement in the Shadow line these days. Actually, there's even more room for improvement in Honda's cruiser line these days.

Whip through Honda's cruiser page: http://powersports.honda.com/street/cruiser.aspx

Gone for 2017 are the F6B & Valkyrie, the pair of 1300 Customs, and CTX700 (if you even want to classify that as a cruiser)...leaving only the Fury, NM4 Japanimated turd, Shadow Phantom, and the two Not-Rebels (which, technically, is one bike with the option of two motors).

That's four bikes.

FOUR.

A pale comparison of Honda's pre-VTX cruiser days where they had a dozen different cruisers in their line up and sharing similar 25% total US market share figures with Harley. Is there any wonder why the MoCo has been enjoying above 30% representations while Honda lingers far behind at less than half that? I have a tough time swallowing the "needs to cater to the younger market" Kool Aid when the offerings and figures continue to say otherwise. Simply put: having already shot themselves in the foot, Honda just discovered they had a second foot and they're reloading.
    Last edited by Shadow Shack; 07-18-2017 at 09:46 PM.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Crazy low seat height, massive luggage capacity, auto transmission, plentiful leg room, super low CG, great fuel economy and range, idiot proof brakes, floor boards that don't drag in the corners, styling that appeals to the instant gratification generation, interchangeable parts that reduce production cost and distribution inventory, marketing aimed at infants.

Sounds like everything you guys have been wanting for, I think it will become a huge success and a concept that will be imitated by several other manufacturers. :/ Unless Japan refuses to import your hormone injected beef products, then the US will probably slap a 100% retaliatory duty on the entire small motorcycle product line as they intend or have already done with the Euro bikes rendering import completely non-viable in the N.A market.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Sounds like everything you guys have been wanting for, I think it will become a huge success and a concept that will be imitated by several other manufacturers.
    If that were true we should be seeing them in the wild, I've yet to see one on the road. I'm positive I've not seen one yet, I'm sure I would have remembered seeing something that horrendously abstract. I've seen a couple of the Not-Rebels, which was a late 2017 release, the NM4 was made available here in 2016 and will reappear in 2018 according to the Honda website (so make that THREE models in the current Honda cruiser line up since this thing is not available for this model year...my bad) and I've yet to see one despite the extra 1.5 year head start.

Looking at facebook groups there's a Taiwanese group boasting over a thousand members strong, the next group drops to a couple hundred in Thailand, followed by a just-over-a-hundred group in Malaysia. The largest English speaking group is 32 predominantly American members strong. I wouldn't be quick to hold your breath expecting this one to catch on here in the US.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

I sat on one at the bike show while I was wearing my big ass cowboy hat must admit it felt slightly embarrassing
    but it sure did have all the legroom of a barcalounger

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Looking at facebook groups there's a Taiwanese group boasting over a thousand members strong, the next group drops to a couple hundred in Thailand, followed by a just-over-a-hundred group in Malaysia. The largest English speaking group is 32 predominantly American members strong. I wouldn't be quick to hold your breath expecting this one to catch on here in the US.
    Ah yes you haven't visited Toronto or Vancouver lately have you

Blog Entries
    Well you did say "everything us guys were wanting" so any trends north of "US" (re: us or U.S. - it works either way) aren't going to be included in that data.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer