Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Army Knife

Swiss Army Knife

There have been many debates and discussions on the difference between scooters and MCs. I think one reason I enjoy scooters are their versatility for traveling. In many ways I consider them the swiss army knife of the 2-wheel world. Anyone have any good experiences where a scooter was the go-to form of transportation?

- Wolf

Hittin' The Twisties buzzyclone's Avatar
    I think they are perfect for certain getaways. Whenever I go on our extended family summer camping trips near lake towns, summer resorts, or ski resorts (open for summer activities), I find the scooters as the perfect mode of transportation. It's easy to have hauled up there and makes for a fun way to shuttle people around to attractions and just to have a nice quiet ride on what is mostly just 30 mph roads.
    I also use them for quick trips to the store. If I lived a bit closer to work I'd utilize it for commuting, but right now I have a few too many 50+ mph roads which are better on the MC.
    I have both motorcycle and two 150cc scooters but sometimes bringing out the FZ8 is like bringing out a machete for a job where a Swiss Army Knife works fine.

My only bike is my scooter, but it's a maxi, so I can commute to work, travel highways and backroads. I've taken it fully loaded to Canada for a six day visit, with no problems. I'm hoping to have a chance to do some motocamping one day.

- Wolf

Hittin' The Twisties buzzyclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterwolf View Post
    My only bike is my scooter, but it's a maxi, so I can commute to work, travel highways and backroads. I've taken it fully loaded to Canada for a six day visit, with no problems. I'm hoping to have a chance to do some motocamping one day.

- Wolf
    Your choice of a maxi scooter definitely expands what you can do. That's awesome! 150cc is a choice I made, because it was a vintage 80s scooter I wanted as a teenager and just had to have it. Plus it's fun to work on and parts are cheap.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    98% of the riding I do would be probably be better on a Maxi Scooter like Wolf's.

Except for that part where I imagine everybody I pass quaking in their boots in fear of the renegade biker in their midst. Yeah, I think that is pretty much how people see me. A dangerous person they should steer clear of.

Me and Walter Mitty....

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! taylorcraft07's Avatar
    I consider the Burgbman 400 to be just about the perfect commuter bike. Fast enough for the interstate, huge cargo capacity, auto clutch/tranny for city traffic.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by buzzyclone View Post
    Your choice of a maxi scooter definitely expands what you can do. That's awesome! 150cc is a choice I made, because it was a vintage 80s scooter I wanted as a teenager and just had to have it. Plus it's fun to work on and parts are cheap.
    I started out with a smaller size scooter too -- 180 cc, but lost it in a crash. They discontinued my original model and the next one above it (250cc) leaving me with the choice of getting something smaller (not an option with my interstate commute) or larger. In my case it was an upgrade to the maxi class.

I do miss a classic looking scoot with the flat running boards. I may entertaining one in a couple of years.

- Wolf

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    I consider my Triumph Street Twin to be a true swiss knife of motorcycles. It is almost as comfortable in the city as my Honda 110 scooter was. Almost as good on the highway as my Ducati Diavel. Almost as good on gravel roads as my old BMW G650GS. Almost as good in tight twisties as my old Ninja 250. Much better at cruising than my old Suziki Savage, or a number of Sportsters I tried. Better at anything than my old Ninja 650. Better on country roads than any of them. And it looks cool.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    a true swiss knife of motorcycles.
    I like that you said "a" instead of "the". "The" varies based on the rider's needs and skills.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I like that you said "a" instead of "the". "The" varies based on the rider's needs and skills.
    There can be more than one I could see G650GS to me a swiss knife too, just less attractive to me personally. Like, with a gray handle instead of ruby red with white cross
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".