Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First sport(ier) bike?

First sport(ier) bike?

Hey guys, the time has finally come to get another bike after i sold mine in the fall. I bought a v star 650 last spring to learn on and put roughly 2k miles on it last summer. I have since ridden a harley heritage softail, and put about 300 miles on a 103ci wide glide that my buddy owns. Recently ive been wanting something a little more sporty (much to the dismay of all of my friends as they are die hard harley fanatics). Its not that i dont enjoy the big harleys, they just seem boring at this point. Everyone makes sport bikes out to be these fire breathing rockets that want to kill you at every turn, but how hard would the transition be for someone who has only ridden cruisers? I know that no one can tell me if i am ready except me, but if it were posed to you as a hypothetical question, would you say that a rider with my experiences would fare well on a sport bike? Would a 600cc SS be out of the question? Im 6'3 250# and i got bored with the vstar's 40 hp pretty quickly. My budget is tight at around 2000. I know im buying at the wrong time of year, but i cant wait until winter. Ive been looking at craigslist, and the only things im seeing in my price range are middle weight cruisers (which i dont want) and the odd sport/ sport touring bike thrown in. Located in northeast texas if that matters.

Thanks

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Try Kawasaki Ninja 300. My favorite bike of all times. There are quite a few experienced riders around here who never get bored with it.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Unless you want the instant turn response and sharpness of a full on supersport, you might consider something like the Triumph Bonneville, the Thruxton (900cc or 1200cc) is plenty sporty compared to a cruiser. Other contenders in that realm are the Ducati Scrambler, Triumph 675 Triple, or more power cruiser like the Ducati Diavel. Staying in the Harley fold, a Sportster 1200 with mid controls.

But with a budget of only $2000, you might be out of luck finding one of the above. Alternatives are an older Ducati Monster 600, or SV650, or a mid to late 80's or early 90's CBR600i, or a rebuilt from salvage title sport bike.

To directly address your question however. Going to a 600cc middleweight supersport from a Vstar is possible but will be an eye opening adjustment. You'll have to be on your toes until you get used to the instant response of the throttle, brakes, and turn-in.
    Last edited by asp125; 06-30-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Do you have a lead on a Ducati 600SS ?
    Sorry but your budget is a serious problem. Price insurance costs for anything you are looking at.

Thanks for the advice, i may be a little corrupted by the shiny red cbr600 f4i sitting outside my building at work haha. On further reflection, my commute is 30 miles one way, and i just dont think i want to deal with the agression of SS every day. Im very impatient, but it looks as though ill just have to wait until something decent pops up for sale. I really want an sv650, but there are only 2 in my price range, one of them doesnt run and the other is a yellow bike that was spray painted black. I guess because its time to ride they've all been snapped up or everyone is pricing them high.

I may could talk the wife into letting me spend another 500. Im not incredibly worried about insurance pricing. I priced liability on a cbr600 and it was something like $35/ month.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    While the F4i is not too extreme, as far as today's sport bikes are concerned, an SV 650 or Kawasaki 650 would be a better choice. They are both reliable, durable, and most important, versatile.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    From a dyed-in-the-wool mid-sized cruiser enthusiast, I would look at the following bikes for comfortable sport/standard move-ups:

Honda CB750 Nighthawk or VFR750/800 Interceptor
    Kawasaki 650 Ninja/Versys/EN-6R/etc and ZR-7
    Suzuki SV-650/V-Strom/Gladius/etc-650
    Suzuki Katana 600 or 750
    Triumph Street Triple 675
    Last edited by Shadow Shack; 06-30-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: dded another model to the list
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Kootenanny's Avatar
    Here's a suggestion: Buell. Your Harley buddies can't sneer--it's got a Harley engine (well, a bit breathed on, but basically...I'm talking the XBs here). And they're going cheap right now, as EBR has finally hit the wall (yes, you can still get parts--large and devoted community).

And while the engine may have been built by H-D, a Buell is no Harley. It is a sportbike, and handles as well as anything out there (and better than most). An incredible bike on a twisty road.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kootenanny View Post
    Here's a suggestion: Buell. Your Harley buddies can't sneer--it's got a Harley engine (well, a bit breathed on, but basically...I'm talking the XBs here). And they're going cheap right now, as EBR has finally hit the wall (yes, you can still get parts--large and devoted community).

And while the engine may have been built by H-D, a Buell is no Harley. It is a sportbike, and handles as well as anything out there (and better than most). An incredible bike on a twisty road.
    Great suggestion. Around here Buell XB9s (Lightnings) are asking just the far side of $2k on Craigslist. With a little haggling you could find one for $2k
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."