Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scary California freeway collision caught on camera

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    It is not so much a matter of faith in humanity as the reach of social media. Dozens of witnesses versus millions reached by social media.

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    They'll absolutely find this guy (if they haven't already). Santa Clarita is a comparatively small community as L.A. communities go and it's separated by mountains and desert. Someone's probably gonna recognize this guy as a local. There's a minuscule chance he was coming down from the higher desert up in the Edwards Airforce base area but at 6:15 am it'd be slim. There'll be other dash cam footage as well as LOT'S of folks here now have permanent cams. All of that and the California Highway Patrol doesn't have many slouches in its investigation division either. It won't be long and they'll know who this guy is. Didn't you go see the latest CHiP's movie? ��

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    You definitely need a generous trail dimension to execute such a maneuver. Bikes with shorter trail are more apt to be thrown off course by such input.
    This is an interesting observation. Makes sense.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yep, case in point...same maneuver from a guy on a standard with shorter trail:

Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Yes, that is interesting.

It makes me wonder about the conventional wisdom of bikes like the Ninja 250/300 as the optimal beginner bike. I wonder if a Rebel would be more stable.

For me, as I am developing my skills. I am finding my Harley to be very effective. It is big lumbering and slow. But it seems to be a good fit with my lumbering slow skills. My Versys 650 is much more nimble, quick and easier to handle, but perhaps easier to get in trouble. While something that is quick and nimble might make it easier to learn to handle the bike well, might it also magnify a mistake?

The other thing I find with my Versys is that it pulls me to ride more aggressively. It really wants to go and handles so easily that it gives me a sense of confidence that probably exceeds my true skill set. Whereas the big lumbering Harley demands more caution.

Where I think the Versys has a safety advantage over the Harley is that it has better brakes, it would be easier to quickly dodge an obstacle and it has less tonnage to contend with. But, for novices like me we create more hazards due to our own inexperience than the world presents to us randomly. And I wonder if cruisers would tend to discourage novices from creating hazards for themselves.

It seems to bear out in the statistics since I believe cruisers have significantly lower accident rates than sport bikes and standards. Although that might be due to the nature of the riders attracted to those bikes than due to the nature of the bikes themselves.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Upright motorcycles are designed with a whole different spectrum of "Stupid Stuff" in mind than the "Stupid Stuff" cruisers are designed for.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Upright motorcycles are designed with a whole different spectrum of "Stupid Stuff" in mind than the "Stupid Stuff" cruisers are designed for.
    That sums it up pretty well. I think that statement belongs on a T-Shirt.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Kootenanny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    It seems to bear out in the statistics since I believe cruisers have significantly lower accident rates than sport bikes and standards. Although that might be due to the nature of the riders attracted to those bikes than due to the nature of the bikes themselves.
    I would be a bit surprised if this were true (the stats). About "the nature of the riders," what I see--here, anyway--is that most of the barhopping crowd tend to be on cruisers...

But yeah, you have a point--the big, lumbering Harley doesn't encourage as much hooliganism as a small, light sporty bike. Still, I'm gonna suggest that the ability to readily learn good bike-handling skills without having to deal with the weight of a large cruiser is more important to overall riding safety. I have seen poor riders on both sportbikes and cruisers, but it seems more prevalent on cruisers. Things like overuse of the rear brake (which--again--cruiser design tends to promote), poor steering skills, poor lane placement and corner lines, running wide, etc., all seem more common among cruiser riders.

And yeah, the attitude you gotta have to actually kick at a car in moving traffic...

On an anecdotal basis ... I picked up way more cruiser riders than sportsbike riders during my 23 year stint as a Medflight pilot. The two primary factors in cruiser crashes, alcohol and ineptness. The two primary causes in sportsbikes, alcohol and ... ineptness ... With cruiser riders the ineptness was usually associated with braking ... a long black stripe from the rear tire to the point of impact ... and second ... they can't corner worth a damn. The primary ineptness cause with sportikes ... failure to negotiate a turn ...

If you are incompetent it just doesn't matter what your riding ... though some bikes will turn a minor mistake into disaster quicker than others ...
    Last edited by OBX-RIDER; 06-27-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Speaking of cruisers, my lawn cruiser ... or vacant lot vehicle ... with tires aired down to 4-5 psi it barely leaves a mark ... which is gone by the next day (so I have to make them again)

The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.