Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scary California freeway collision caught on camera

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    I can't help but wonder if yall aren't sseing a different video than me. I don't know what preceded this but I see a motorcyclist kick a sedan ... then I see the sedan apparently intentionally attempt to drive into the bike and loose control
    Yea exactly how I see this as well. I know that area well (and by the way I had to laugh out loud when the news reporter described it as "heavy" traffic) and that HOV lane often gets contentious. One can not enter or exit that lane. Once established you must stay put. People cut into that lane out of frustration (traffic) and that pisses folks off. Also there seems to be some confusion as to the rights of a motorcyclist in that HOV lane. I haven't totally confirmed this but I believe it's illegal (once the HOV lane is established) to split in that area. I'm guessing all of that was part of the initial confrontation. Past that kicking a moving car is painfully stupid but the intent of the car driver was far, far more sinister. That was a blatant attempt to cause physical harm to the biker. At very least that's assault with a deadly weapon and in some jurisdictions worse. Either which way it's an ugly event of which all three drivers will have to live with the rest of their lives.

Yuk...

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    Yea exactly how I see this as well. I know that area well (and by the way I had to laugh out loud when the news reporter described it as "heavy" traffic) and that HOV lane often gets contentious. One can not enter or exit that lane. Once established you must stay put. People cut into that lane out of frustration (traffic) and that pisses folks off. Also there seems to be some confusion as to the rights of a motorcyclist in that HOV lane. I haven't totally confirmed this but I believe it's illegal (once the HOV lane is established) to split in that area. I'm guessing all of that was part of the initial confrontation. Past that kicking a moving car is painfully stupid but the intent of the car driver was far, far more sinister. That was a blatant attempt to cause physical harm to the biker. At very least that's assault with a deadly weapon and in some jurisdictions worse. Either which way it's an ugly event of which all three drivers will have to live with the rest of their lives.

Yuk...
    Where's the "like" button ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I am expecting to hear another shoe drop on this story this week. I understand they are looking for the motorcycle rider. I suspect they will find him. Somebody somewhere must know who this is and I suspect it won't be long before he is turned in.

While I agree that the swerve by the car looked intentional and very likely was. The motorcycle rider has a problem in that there is clear video evidence that he kicked the car and left the scene of an accident.

The car driver on the other hand could create reasonable doubt by saying he was scared, panicked and lost control of his vehicle. I do not think that is what happened, but I could see it as creating reasonable doubt. Clearly, he lost control after the initial swerve. Is it unreasonable to believe that the initial swerve was a loss of control and not intentional? Perhaps. I guess it depends on who is judging reasonableness.

Therefore, while the actions of the car driver appear more viscously and intentionally injurious to me, what is provable in court may be a different matter. And whoever is judging this is likely to be more familiar with cars than motorcycles.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    California has more licensed motorcycle riders than the other 49 states combined. I wish them luck finding this proverbial needle in the haystack.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    California has more licensed motorcycle riders than the other 49 states combined. I wish them luck finding this proverbial needle in the haystack.
    I do not know how much of a needle in a haystack it really is. He probably works somewhere. He definitely lives somewhere. He probably has neighbors. He probably has friends. He appears to have a bit of a temper so he probably has enemies. He must keep his bike somewhere.

Perhaps if the damage is not too bad and he can store the bike out of sight and repair it himself reasonably quickly, he might be able to slip through the cracks.

But if he is a regular rider which he seems to be since he demonstrated pretty good bike handling skills, it is going to look odd if he is all of a sudden not riding his bike that is similar to the one in the video.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I do not know how much of a needle in a haystack it really is.
    All we have to go by is crappy/grainy cell phone footage. Granted the person filming the event had the common sense to know which way to hold a phone for video, it's still crappy/grainy cell phone footage.

Going by that crappy grainy footage we have what appears to be a dresser/cruiser gravitating toward the darker colors of the spectrum...most likely a Harley but again, tough to tell. Rider is wearing a denim vest, also very common in the cruiser crowd. No patches on the back so we can safely throw out the one percenters, which leaves the other 99% of the riding population (according to the AMA ).

Not a lot to go by.

He probably works somewhere. He definitely lives somewhere. He probably has neighbors. He probably has friends. He appears to have a bit of a temper so he probably has enemies. He must keep his bike somewhere.
    Save for the temper, so does everyone else with a motorcycle...and there is still a fair representation of riders with tempers as well. Nothing unique here.

Perhaps if the damage is not too bad and he can store the bike out of sight and repair it himself reasonably quickly, he might be able to slip through the cracks.
    It doesn't appear he made contact with the retaining wall. Even if he did...so what? How many rashed bikes do you see on the road during your travels? Again, nothing unique here.

Even so, ask any CraigsList Bobberizer how easy it is to remove stuff from a bike.

But if he is a regular rider which he seems to be since he demonstrated pretty good bike handling skills, it is going to look odd if he is all of a sudden not riding his bike that is similar to the one in the video.[/QUOTE]

Again, what bike is "similar to the one in the video"? If we knew exactly what make/model/color we might be able to narrow it down a little more. Maybe you can tell what it is, I can't...I can't even discern if those are full dresser hard bags or soft throw-over soft bags let alone what kind of bike it is.

Simply put the odds are better for this guy to turn himself in versus someone else turning him in. Now if there's a reward offered, I'll change those odds...until then they stand.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

I agree that if the police had to go out and find him, it would be hard. But I do not think they will have to. My bet is somebody somewhere knows who this is. Friend, girl friend, work associate, neighbor, mechanic, dealer, shop or bar he is a regular at, etc. Even if they just loosely suspect, call it in, police go look, pieces fit.... I say if he does not turn himself in, somebody will. Maybe if he was just passing through and is in another state by now he will get away. But if he is local.....

Looked like a burnt orange Street Glide style bike to me. Maybe it was beat and a few more scuffs will go unnoticed. But everybody in the area who knows somebody or knows of somebody with a burnt orange cruiser is going to wonder if he was the guy.

I bet we know who it is this week. Or at least the cops know who it is this week. Maybe we don't know until next week.

Blog Entries
    Google "Kitty Genovese".

Never mind, I'll just divulge the Cliffs Notes version: She was stabbed to death while roughly 40 witnesses watched from the safety of their own apartments and not one called the cops. The killer was eventually caught in a robbery a few weeks later and confessed to the killing at that point, had he kept his mouth shut he would have gotten away with it.

That happened in the 1960's, society hasn't improved since then.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

There were no viral videos in 1964. Somebody will turn him in.

Blog Entries
    The existence of viral videos is moot when you consider the dozens of witnesses that stood by and enjoyed the entertainment rather than calling the police. Nobody placed a call until well after she took her final breath.

I think we'll just have to agree that your faith in humanity is stronger than mine.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer