Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to ATGATT in the Summer?

How to ATGATT in the Summer?

Hello everyone. I have a very nice Speed and Strength jacket with built in armor. It has a removable layer on the sleeves which leaves a mesh sleeve. It's pretty warm where I am; about 90 degrees. I also ride with a full face helmet and jeans.

I took the bike for a quick 15 minute ride the other day and I was sweating. The problem is that I'd like to take the bike to work, which is about an hour ride. I don't want to arrive to work drenched and have to change my clothes!

What do you all do for riding gear in the summer?

I don't know where you live, but I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast, where it's hot and humid in the summer. Even on the hottest days, when the heat index is over 100*, it's still relatively cool (about 80*) in the morning. I'm not overly schvitzy when I get to the office. My summer commuting garb is a FF helmet, Cortech mesh jacket, Alpinestars summer gloves, and TCX boots. I don't have dress in business clothes, so I can wear jeans and short-sleeve V-necks or T-shirts under the jacket. My commute home is much hotter and stickier, but I can take a shower and change when I get there.

From your description, your jacket is mesh only on the sleeves. Is that correct? If so, I'd suggest a full mesh jacket. That way, if most of your 1-hour commute is at speed with no lights, the airflow should keep you relatively cool and dry.

When I'm on a summertime pleasure ride, I wear full mesh jacket and pants with workout shorts under the pants and a tank top under the jacket. I retain the FF helmet, gloves, and boots.
    Last edited by Lezbert; 06-07-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I live in Florida. It is hot here. I am most of the gear most of the time. I wear a mesh jacket, gloves, boots, FF helmet most of the time. Mesh pants often. I find the mesh pants cooler than jeans. I will sometimes were shorts under the mesh pants or change into short when I get were I am going. I sometimes bring flip flops too and change out of my boots too.

But I work at home so I do not have a commuting issue. But early in the morning, I could see myself commuting without getting too sweaty as long as there is not too much stopping and sitting.

Most other motorcycle riders I see are in T-Shirts though.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you could use a full mesh jacket for the summer. Find one with a removable wind liner for those chilly mornings or unexpected showers. For extra cooling on really hot days, a wicking t-shirt can be worn beneath, and keep a fresh shirt at the workplace.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    If it is 90+ degrees outside, you are going to be hot. There is no two ways about it. If it is warm enough that you cannot take a brisk walk without sweating there really is no way to stay dry while riding. There are some pretty expensive cooling vests which use phase-change material packets, but that is about all that I have ever heard of.

I'm in the metro Phoenix area and ride all year 'round.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    White mesh jacket will keep you significantly cooler.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Over 100? Take the car. Sure, it can be done, but why suffer? Think about that hour you are being "super heated." It's foolhardy too.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    White mesh jacket will keep you significantly cooler.
    When the temps are in the 90s and above, which is basically every day here from now until mid to late September, this white-mesh-jacket-wearing rider emphatically disagrees with this statement.
    Last edited by Lezbert; 06-08-2017 at 03:56 PM.

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    When the temps are in the 90s and above, which is basically every day here from now until mid to late September, this white-mesh-jacket-wearing rider emphatically disagrees with this statement.
    You mean compared with a black mesh jacket? As a Seattle rider, I can offer no experience at these temperatures, but the simple physics tells me that my experience at 80s should be applicable...
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    You mean compared with a black mesh jacket? As a Seattle rider, I can offer no experience at these temperatures, but the simple physics tells me that my experience at 80s should be applicable...
    I meant exactly what I said. Of course mileage may vary, depending on where you are. Since we don't know where the OP is, I qualified my statement with my local conditions (as you did), just in case his are similar. Down here, there's *no noticeable comfort difference* between a dark and a light jacket at the temperatures I described. I wouldn't want someone in a very hot, humid area to expect a significant amount of cooling/comfort by changing the color of his jacket. I am not being sarcastic when I say that it's great that BBO has members from around the globe to offer their personal experiences in their regions. That way, the OP can think, "Oh, I live where (insert member name) lives. I'll follow that advice."
    Last edited by Lezbert; 06-09-2017 at 12:22 PM.