Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Help] First Bike

Cool [Help] First Bike

Hi,

Im 40 - and its time for my first bike. I have my permit, and my basic rider course starts on the 15th. *Excited*.

I'm looking for help with a new bike, and helmet.

I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. My inseam is 32 - 33".

I've been looking at (and have sat on);
    Yamaha Bolt R-Spec - Felt good, but the intake was right in the way of my leg.
    Indian Scout Sixty - Felt good, no complaints. Not much in the way of a second hand market.
    HD 883 - Felt small, I've ruled it out.
    Honda Rebel 500 - Felt good, no complaints. Again - no second hand market.

Are these decent starters? Should I look elsewhere? The Honda has an excellent price point so I wouldn't mind buying new. The others might be above my price point new.

The bolt seems to have second hand bikes about with lower mileage, so that seems like an option. Could I fix the intake issue? Would it even be an issue?

Should I look at something else?

Secondly - i've been looking at;

- HJC IS-17
    - HJC RPHA ST
    - ICON Alliance GT

I've tried on all of the above and they seem to all fit in a size L. Should I look at something more expensive or are these decent entry level helmets?

Thank you for any help!

Cheers!

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your first motorcycle will hopefully not be your last one. But poor choices can make you want to get out of riding quickly, or remove you forcefully.

Every motorcycle you listed falls outside the category of "safe, forgiving first motorcycles." You CAN survive them as a new rider. But expect them to be damaged as you develop basic skills.

Consider something small, inexpensive, and USED to start out with. Beginner bikes can often be sold after one year for the same price you paid (sometimes more, if you improve their condition during your ownership), even if you drop them a few times. And most of them have a good aftermarket for the parts that tend to get broken by beginning riders.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Warning! Use of this ingredient in ways not listed on the package is called 'cooking'. Do so at your own risk!"

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And as far as helemts go... any one should do well as long as it's at least DOT or ECE certified and fits comfortably and correctly. I use and have seen a lot of others with HJC helmets. I've been satisfied with mine. My daughter has an ICON helmet and likes it. More money may mean more little features and possivly SNELL certification (which is a more peotectivw standard) but as long as the helmet is certified DOT or ECE it should be ok.

If you haven't seen a helemt sizing article before you may want to look at this:

http://www.motosport.com/blog/motorc...e-right-helmet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Every motorcycle you listed falls outside the category of "safe, forgiving first motorcycles."
    Except for the 500 Rebel.

408 pounds wet (+6 for ABS) and 46HP, it certainly falls within the parameters of a beginner bike. I don't care for the me-too blacked out treatment or hijacking a name from a bike it shares zero DNA with, but it's still a safe & sane BB nonetheless.

As the OP notes there's no second hand market, the bike was just released in April and you're stuck paying dealership prices for now @ $6K plus fees.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Blog Entries
    To the OP - go used and you'll find a wide selection of 600 & 750 Shadows in an affordable budget. Other bikes like the 500 Vulcan, 800 Suzuki Marauder & Intruder/S-50 along with a host of 650 V-Stars should fit the cruiser bill nicely as well.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Awesome - thanks for the replies so far all.

What puts the bolt out of the beginner bike range? Weight, cc's?

I definitely want to go second hand up front if I can help it. Will look at the suggestions above.

Is ABS something I should prefer, or can I avoid that with a smaller beginner bike?

Also - I'm from New Zealand, but living in Minneapolis - Minnesota.

What are the best places to look for second hand bikes? Craigslist? Something else?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadriel View Post
    What puts the bolt out of the beginner bike range? Weight, cc's?
    The general rule of thumb for a beginner bike is under 50HP & under 500 pounds.

The Bolt is under 50HP but over 500 pounds (not by much, mind you, but just enough)...it's borderline at best.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

ABS is a mature technology and should be preferred ... but not a deal killer. Craigslist is probably the primary source but occasionally you can score on Cycle Trader and Ebay ... Be mindful of scams ... if a deal looks too good to be true ... there's a good chance it is.

Smaller(lighter) less powerful bikes are just easier to learn on and present fewer unneeded challenges. I rode a TU250 on a 1,000+ miles camping trip last year and the bike did fine.

Remember if you buy a decent used bike and take care of it ... there is a good chance you will be out very little money when you sell it. And the learning experience of that smaller bike will be invaluable. I started on a 175cc and here I am nearly 45 years later still riding ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    I second the buy a used 250 and possibly sell it down the road. The market for used 250s is awesome and there are a tonne to choose from. And if for some reason you can't have fun riding one, well.... Most of us older riders have a 250 in the stable for when we want to behave irresponsibly and not get tickets for it.

The 300 Rebel is a good one to consider too, as it's a really good bike.
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...