Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shorai Batteries

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Shorai Batteries

I have had a great experience with Shorai Battery customer service. I bought a Shorai Battery a little over a year ago. Mistreated it in ways that would void the warranty and killed it. They are replacing it anyway and were very helpful in helping me understand how you have to take care of Lithium Batteries. I was very impressed with their customer service.

I am not sure that lithium is the right technology for me, but I could see how it would be right for some. And if I were to buy another lithium battery, it would be from Shorai. They really impressed me with the way they support their customers. You can actually speak to a human when you call them!!

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I have had a great experience with Shorai Battery customer service. I bought a Shorai Battery a little over a year ago. Mistreated it in ways that would void the warranty and killed it. They are replacing it anyway and were very helpful in helping me understand how you have to take care of Lithium Batteries. I was very impressed with their customer service.

I am not sure that lithium is the right technology for me, but I could see how it would be right for some. And if I were to buy another lithium battery, it would be from Shorai. They really impressed me with the way they support their customers. You can actually speak to a human when you call them!!
    Good to know. I'm due for a battery and Shiraz is high on the list!

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    According the the folks at Shorai, lithium batteries have very, very, good storage life, but are not as tolerant as lead-acid batteries of being heavily discharged. This means that if your bike has systems which create a steady, small, draw on the battery you will need to monitor the battery if the bike sits for long periods of time. If you don't have things like clocks or alarms a lithium battery will do quite well and especially so if you disconnect the battery when the bike sits. It's a trade-off.

They are also not tolerant to spikes in voltage, like when a charger "desulfates" or when you jump start a dead bike.

Seems like a great product if you are willing to take care of it properly.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They are also not tolerant to spikes in voltage, like when a charger "desulfates" or when you jump start a dead bike.

With everything posted here about them.....

Seems like too much care has to be taken with them. I'll stick with regular batteries.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

For me they have a couple of strong points. 1st is weight ... you loose pounds up high on a bike. If it's my Harley RK ... hardly worth it. If it's my KTM or DRZ ... it's a cost effective way to off a few pounds ...

The other is in cranking power. My DRZ has no kick start. And I ride it in the 'way back'. So I got a bigger lithium iron than called for and still lost weight. That bike spins up 'energetically' ...

FWIW in the 2017 500 EXC ... KTM lost the kickstart backup and added a Shorai battery ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
    Seems like too much care has to be taken with them. I'll stick with regular batteries.
    I see it differently. Both types are just as tolerant of "everyday" users. But, if you get into doing things to prolong the life, the different chemistries require different tools.

A desulfating "pulse" charger helps a lead-acid type battery last longer, but it can damage a LiFePO. There is an equivalent device for LiFePO battery, that will work with individual cells within the battery; it isn't very useful for lead-acid batteries.

When I needed a new battery for the C14, I considered the LiFePO, but my "maintenance tools" (PulseTech chargers) would not work with it, and having to make wedges to hold the much smaller battery in place weighed against it. I replaced it with a Yuasu instead.

If I didn't already have multiple PulseTech chargers, or if there was a LiFePO that more closely matched the original battery's dimensions, that choice could have gone the other way.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    I see it differently. Both types are just as tolerant of "everyday" users.
    This is my impression as well with emphasis on "everyday". The importance of maintaining the lithium batteries seems more critical than for lead acid for bikes that will sit. Lithium seems less tolerant of being allowed to get to a low charge level.

It is also my impression that lithium batteries should not be jump started if they go dead. They should be recharged with special chargers designed for these batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    But, if you get into doing things to prolong the life, the different chemistries require different tools.

A desulfating "pulse" charger helps a lead-acid type battery last longer, but it can damage a LiFePO. There is an equivalent device for LiFePO battery, that will work with individual cells within the battery; it isn't very useful for lead-acid batteries.

When I needed a new battery for the C14, I considered the LiFePO, but my "maintenance tools" (PulseTech chargers) would not work with it, and having to make wedges to hold the much smaller battery in place weighed against it. I replaced it with a Yuasu instead.

If I didn't already have multiple PulseTech chargers, or if there was a LiFePO that more closely matched the original battery's dimensions, that choice could have gone the other way.
    Yup, this is all consistent with my understanding.

Jump starts are just fine. The battery that is supplying the power is rated at the same nominal voltage as the lithium battery that you are boosting. De-sulfation mode is bad though, during the desulfate cycle most chargers go up to the 16v range. We had a charger at the shop that could peak at 18v. That's not neccesarily good for lead-acid either.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
    With everything posted here about them.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    My lithium batteris have not seemed to require any added care. Less actually because there is no fluid. Care is different though.
    With a lead-acid battery though, you can damage it through repeated deep discharge and can often keep it limping along for a while (but be wary that this practice can damage your charging system). When a LiFePo battery is dead, it's dead.