Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nicky Hayden injured in bicycling collision

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar

Nicky Hayden injured in bicycling collision

I came across this last evening. This post is an update from earlier today:
    http://www.crash.net/wsbk/news/24758...-critical.html

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That's a whole lot of lines to repeatedly say, "He's hurt bad, and we don't know what's going to happen."
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Been seeing this news all over the racing boards, hope Nicky makes a full recovery.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Wow ... I had sen a brief bulletin to the effect he was hurt but this seems really bad! Prayers for him and his family ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...-accident.html

Slightly more information. Picture of the car looks like he was hit by the right corner and then impacted the windshield. The bike was punted into the grass.

If he'd been on a motorcycle with gear on, he'd probably have been swearing at the driver when the police arrived, instead of laying in a hospital in an induced coma...
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    If he'd been on a motorcycle with gear on, he'd probably have been swearing at the driver when the police arrived, instead of laying in a hospital in an induced coma...
    I get grief from a friend of mine about the risk I take riding a motorcycle and yet he rides a bicycle without a helmet. Sometime he walks his dog while riding his bicycle. Who is at more risk? A motorcycle rider fully geared up or a bicycle rider without a helmet?

Not that it matters, but people often under-estimate the risk of things they are familiar with and over-estimate the risk of things they are unfamiliar with.

Statistically, motorcycles are more dangerous than bicycles, but I think motorcycle afford greater opportunity to take responsibility for your own safety. And because of this the dispersion of risk from one rider to another is much wider than for bicycle riders.

On a busy road, I would much rather be on my motorcycle than on my bicycle. In part because of the gear, but more because the motorcycle give me greater opportunity to avoid risk, mostly because I am keeping up with the flow of traffic.

However, I still wrestle with whether the risk of riding a motorcycle is worth it. It is what motivated me to my first post on this site. I have gotten comfortable on the road and I believe that my riding style is low risk. Sometimes I wonder if I am at more risk on a step ladder doing chores around the house than on my motorcycle.

Flirting With The Redline SaskRider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    However, I still wrestle with whether the risk of riding a motorcycle is worth it.
    I can't answer that for you, but this is how I feel about the risk.

Based on the number of motorcycle riders and the number of fatalities where I live, there's a 0.02% - 0.05% chance I'll be one of the unlucky souls who gets his number punched any given year. I like those odds, even if they are much worse than being in a cage. Plus there are certain behaviours (according to the Hurt report) that reduce the likelihood I'll be a statistic.

Motorcycling is probably one of my least risky lifestyle choices. (If I don't lay off the baconators, I'm more likely to have a heart attack.)
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS SE
    2013 Suzuki DR200SE

One of my all time favorite riders. I've had the opportunity to see him race in person many times since 2004. Always smiling, gracious, humble, and so many other positive ways a good human can be described. Always willing to stop for a photo, autograph or chat with fans. "not good" is what is being communicated by family to close friends here in California

Last July at Laguna Seca, my mom had a fainting episode (fortunately we were with our ER nurse friends). The Hayden family suite was near by and we sort of invaded looking for a place for my mom to lie down and be assessed. Rose and Roger (Nicky's parents) made mom feel welcome.

October 2016, WSBK Test Day, Jerez, Spain
    Suzie
    '13 KLX 110L - "Kermit"
    '04 NSR 50
    GWA Member

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Awww, this is awful. Sending up a prayer for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaskRider View Post
    Based on the number of motorcycle riders and the number of fatalities where I live, there's a 0.02% - 0.05% chance I'll be one of the unlucky souls who gets his number punched any given year.
    If that is the percentage of total riders, I would bet your personal risk is much less since you are thinking about and if you are following the behaviors highlighted in the Hurt Report.

And I agree, unhealthy lifestyle choices probably increase risk of death much more than riding a motorcycle.