Thread: brake/clutch levers are too far from grips

Flirting With The Redline dpwell's Avatar

brake/clutch levers are too far from grips

hi - I have a 2015 Honda cb500x and would like to swap out the stock levers with ones that are shaped to be closer to the grips. The ones on my old ninja are perfect but the ones on the Honda make me reach more than I want, especially the brake. I just called my local Honda shop and the parts guy basically said this can't be done, but I'm highly sceptical. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations?

thanks.
    2015 Honda CB500X
    2009 Ninja 250 ('Saki') - sold
    2007 Honda CBR125 - sold
    http://www.vancouvermusictheory.com

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Vortex makes some very nice adjustable levers. They are about $80 each but you can usually find a sale at some online retailer. You could also go the eBay route and get a pair of levers for the same price, just from an unknown manufacturer. I have used Vortex parts on my track and racing bikes. Vortex produces high quality parts at pretty reasonable prices.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    +1, Vortex, CRG, ASV, Pazzo Racing... etc. All make adjustable levers. Here are some no-name brands https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-20.../dp/B00MBDMBG0
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I have adjustable levers on my CB500X. However, I do not know what they are. The prior owner sold them to me for $40 for the pair. I did not have a problem with the position of the stock levers, but the black adjustable ones with the red adjustment lever looked cool. I also put adjustable levers on the Versys. Do not know what kind they are either. But they are also black with a red adjustment lever.

So not much help. Sorry.

However, the one cautionary note about adjustable levers is to be careful to make sure they are adjusted properly every time you get on the bike, especially if someone else is riding the bike. They can affect the feel of the brakes and the location of the friction zone of the clutch so you want to make sure you are comfortable with how they are adjusted before you take off down the road.

Almost wheelied the Versys in the driveway after my son had ridden it and I did not pay attention to how he had moved the clutch way in so the friction zone was right at the handle. I was used to it being a bit further out.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Rally Raid sells adjustable levers meant specifically for the CB500X.

Flirting With The Redline dpwell's Avatar
    thanks for the tips. Someone on another forum told me that the 2016 cb500x has an adjustable brake lever (not clutch) and that it's compatible with my 2015. So I have a few options. Not sure why Honda made the 2015 with such a huge gap between grips and levers.
    2015 Honda CB500X
    2009 Ninja 250 ('Saki') - sold
    2007 Honda CBR125 - sold
    http://www.vancouvermusictheory.com

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Damnit, I never had a problem with the distance to my CB's levers until I read this. Now it bugs me every time I get on the bike.

Carving the Corners
    ASV's are pricey, but nice. paid about $225 and tax for both of mine (C5 brake and clutch levers), no regrets. Personal opinion check out motomummy and search to see if you're bike has a set available (Mine had long or short handle options and I went w/ shorty levers).

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another manufacturer is FP Racing. Their folding levers have a lifetime warranty. I had a set that the bearing race split open, and even though I wasn't the original purchaser nor warranty holder, they offered to rebuild them for me for the cost of shipping.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."