Thread: Transporting my bike across the country

Transporting my bike across the country

Hey guys,

I'm moving from Texas to Florida at the end of the month. I have a 15ft uhaul box truck with a trailer for my truck (a 4 cyclinder very old pick up) to tow behind. The plan was to strap the bike in the back of the uhual truck. We are gonna stop at a motel one night and camp at a national forest for 3 nights along the way.

However, we have sold or thrown out most of our furniture and basically don't need that much space. So we were looking at options to save money. The cost for the uhual and trailer is $1400.

We could ship the pick up for $600. We could maybe rent a pick up truck that can tow, put the bike in the back of the pick up and just tow a small uhaul closed trailer. We also thought about just renting a cargo van... like a sprinter. We could easily get everything in that, including the bike and just ship my truck. The problem is securing the bike in the back of the van.

Surely ther has to be some combination of things to rent that could make this trip easy and less expensive.

Does anyone have any experience securing a bike in the back of a cargo rental van or anything similar to this situation? It's a ninja 500, by the way. Also, we really want to ride together in one vehicle. My truck is a little Tacoma with 350,000 mikes on it, so I'd rather not drive it across the country. Plus it doesn't have a tow hitch.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can either go to Harbor Freight and pick up one of their inexpensive locking wheel chocks https://www.harborfreight.com/Motorc...ock-60392.html (I had one like this for the race bike, it worked fine). Bolt it to the floor of the Uhaul van, or to a sheet of 3/4in plywood and strap the bike to the floor or wall where there are tie down points. Or mount it in the bed of the Tacoma.

Or you can make something out of 2x4s, https://www.google.com/search?biw=11....0.xcxVc05dnyU
    but at $40 the HF chock is a pretty good deal.

I knew of someone who simply sandwiched his bike between two mattresses and jammed it either side with a dresser drawer and couch. Probably not the most elegant solution.

Loading it into a box van is another matter. You have to find an elevated loading dock or long enough ramp to have a gentle enough slope to get it loaded.
    Last edited by asp125; 05-16-2017 at 12:01 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Check with Budget rentals. My son and his girfriend rented a 20' box truck for four days and drove from Phoenix to Salt Lake City. $225. I was really surprised by the price, but when they need a truck moved to someplace that you are driving, the rates can be really reasonable.

Drive the taco, pull a uhaul motorcycle trailer with it. (Hey, I pull one with a 4-cyl Camry!)
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Ship the truck. Ship all your stuff. Ride the bike.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Are you willing to partially tear the bike down? You might be amazed at just how little space is required for a bike lacking the wheels, handlebars, and forks stowed alongside the frame/bodywork. You can even get crafty and construct a frame mount out of scrap lumber.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As far as the bike goes, maybe see if someone around you might be interested in riding it to your destination? I think that dude I did that for a few years ago paid a total of 500 bucks. Basically my plane ticket, and 300 bucks for my time. I ended up staying with folks I knew along the way, so it ended up costing me very little. Cost the owner far less than shipping it.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    You sure you can ship the truck for $600? That sounds cheap. Just shipped a motorcycle and now a car from ND to AZ and it was more than that, even the motorcycle.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    You sure you can ship the truck for $600? That sounds cheap. Just shipped a motorcycle and now a car from ND to AZ and it was more than that, even the motorcycle.
    Sometimes you can get reasonable bids on shipping from Uship.com. That's how we got 50sGrl's XT250 from the midwest for ~$300
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Sometimes you can get reasonable bids on shipping from Uship.com. That's how we got 50sGrl's XT250 from the midwest for ~$300
    Tried uship for both, also. We waited months to get the rate we did for the car delivered yesterday....and had to change delivery city to get the $1000 rate that we did.

Just a word of warning, tis all. The shipping business can be very fluid...and crooked. A $600 bid can turn into more upon delivery, so use reputable companies, as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!