Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronco Project

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar

Bronco Project

I have mentioned this project of my son's somewhere on this site but couldn't find it, so figured I'd start a new thread in case anyone is interested.

We picked up this POS Bronco (engine was strong, though) at a pawn store 2 years ago as something our son could work on. He was 13 at the time.

It literally wouldn't start about 5 minutes after we handed over the cash. The boys had to bypass the alternator for it to start and that was how we got the thing home. In looking at the photo closely, I am laughing because I forgot the back window didn't work, neither, when we bought it. You can see part of the fancy tarp system. That was one of the first things he troubleshot and fixed on his own.

He has learned A LOT over the past 2 years. Basically rewired it, he put in a dual battery system, learned bodywork and he painted it. Here it is now with 33 inch tires and the bedliner paint he did (after a lot of bodywork).....

This weekend, he spent most of his time underneath it putting on a 6 inch lift so he can put 35in tires on it that our neighbor is swapping him for some cash and the tires he has.

With the exception of birthdays and holidays, we have given him very little financial assistance with this. He has dug a lot of ditches and threaded a lot of pipe for plumber hubby on the weekends and school breaks. He also sells things on craigslist for our Luddite neighbor. Son gets to keep anything over what neighbor wants for the item. (He sold a parts Bronco for him and a couple of other things.)

Pretty proud of him but I also thought any gear heads on here might want to check it out.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You realize, of course, that you have been abusing his sense of self in unimaginable ways, by not sheltering him from the grief of reality with massive application of money and social media...
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

I took a photo or two from his social media account.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250

You done good, Missy.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    This explains the tire swap better than your post on facebook about same did. That one left me confusered. Neighbor wants smaller tires, Cam wants bigger tires, and has 6-inch lift so they'll clear, so 33" + cash = 35". Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxieman View Post
    This explains the tire swap better than your post on facebook about same did. That one left me confusered. Neighbor wants smaller tires, Cam wants bigger tires, and has 6-inch lift so they'll clear, so 33" + cash = 35". Got it.
    You are my readership of 1 so my apologies for the confuzzlement.

Neighbor also has a 86 Bronco that he is selling. It was at the house last night because Cam had all 4s up in the air and Dad didn't really like the safety aspect of that. So they swapped tires.

Cam made comment about Dad and Cam matching Broncos, and Dad wasn't all that quick to squash the idea. Neighbor is selling his for a reasonable price and looks like a decent lil truck...except that Cam just took the cool tires and rims.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    So dad goes for 37's?

We didn't see much of him for a week and when we did, he was filthy from spending all of his time underneath the truck in our driveway, but the 6" lift and 35" tire conversion is complete!

He needs to connect a couple of brake lines yet and then get an alignment. He is REALLY excited.

Flirting With The Redline SaskRider's Avatar
    It's turned out really nice! I'm impressed that someone his age has put that much time and effort into making it possible.
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS SE
    2013 Suzuki DR200SE

Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    We didn't see much of him for a week and when we did, he was filthy from spending all of his time underneath the truck in our driveway, but the 6" lift and 35" tire conversion is complete!

He needs to connect a couple of brake lines yet and then get an alignment. He is REALLY excited.
    Did he have to mod the driveline for this lift? Drive shaft angles can become critical if not addressed.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.