Thread: Bike Flippers!

Flirting With The Redline thud300's Avatar

Bike Flippers!

No, not the aquatic kind, the capitalist kind...

A couple of funny things have happened while doing my almost daily perusal of Craigslist/Facebook shopping the used bikes. Saw a bike being sold locally on FB, I think it's a 93 1500 Goldwing. Looks nice in the pics, the guy wants 3500 for it... but I know a little about its history...

I saw the same bike last summer on a rural corner, with a trailer hooked onto it, baking in the open sun for weeks with a for sale sign on it. It looked kind of rough and weathered, the cluster was actually melted from the summer sun. Not the lens, the gauge faces.... I think the ask was 3000 with trailer, and this guy wants 3500, no trailer. No pics of the cluster... I know it's the same Wing because of some distinctive labels on the trunk that say "IW46", whatever that is.

Then tonight, a Craigslist search for the Voyager XII I've been looking for revealed something interesting.

A year ago in November, I took a trailer a couple hundred miles to see a 1988 Voyager XII. It looked fine in the pics, and not too bad in person either, but it had a heel/toe shifter and floorboards in place of the pegs and standard shifter. The altered controls and reduced lean-over clearance didn't appeal to me, the seller wouldn't wiggle off his price of 1500, and I just got a bad vibe over the bike when I asked why he was selling and the answer was "It just didn't work out". We couldn't meet on the price, so I ended up driving home an empty trailer.

Sometimes I wondered if it was the right call.

Tonight's search included a new ad with some familiar pics. It was the same set of pictures of the same bike that I looked at before, and the new seller isn't very far from where I went to see it. So this seller bought the bike I looked at 18 months ago, and now wants 1990 for it... didn't even bother to take new pictures. Guess it 'didn't work out' for him either.

"New battery, oil changed, all fluids checked and topped off" for a tidy profit

I get making money, we all want to do that... but caveat emptor!
    Returning neglected Kawasakis to riding glory since 2014
    1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera", 1998 Concours "Connimus Prime", 1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
    COG #12068 Member of American Voyager Association #ATGATT or stay home
    my YouTube channel: ToastRider

May is the number 1 motorcycle buying month.

People get their tax refunds back.

The weather is getting warmer.

Kids are getting through with school/college.

There's 3 reasons that I know of, and there's maybe more.

Even the moto tire makers are getting in on it as most of them are offering "rebates" now.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    I need to gept Woodrow ready to sell !
    2009 Kawi Vulcan 500 LTD- Woodrow

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes people post bikes in the fall, they don't sell, and then repost them in spring for more since it's peak buying season.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's all about timing.

First off, goldwing owners, especially 1500 owners it seems, are effing nuts. Never try to understand their logic. They think their old ass goldwing is worth just as much as a new one. They also think stick on chrome enhances value. No kidding, there was a guy in indy selling his 1998 1500 with 30k, for, wait for it, $7500. YOU CAN GET AN 1800 FOR THAT MUCH!! Granted it was clean, looked nice, likely babied, but there is no reason to even think its in the ballpark of 7500.

I've always been interested in a voyager myself...but never found any in adequate condition for my purchase. Oh well, I can't fit 3 bikes here anyhow.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Flirting With The Redline thud300's Avatar
    It definitely colors the perspective of the ad, however, when you know you've seen that bike up close in less than ideal condition, and how much extra the short-term new owner is trying to get.

If my 454 were to go on sale, it's doubtful I could sell it at a significant profit. It didn't need much, minor things, some TLC and I've put maybe 150 in parts and another 100 in farkles. But if it could be moved to facilitate a decent Voyager purchase, who knows.
    Returning neglected Kawasakis to riding glory since 2014
    1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera", 1998 Concours "Connimus Prime", 1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
    COG #12068 Member of American Voyager Association #ATGATT or stay home
    my YouTube channel: ToastRider

Sometimes the wife says "You need to sell that bike!" so the husband dutifully posts it on Craigslist at a coupla thou more than it's worth ... cause he ain't going to sell it and don't want to argue about it ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    Sometimes the wife says "You need to sell that bike!" so the husband dutifully posts it on Craigslist at a coupla thou more than it's worth ... cause he ain't going to sell it and don't want to argue about it ...
    ......thats......brilliant.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646