Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big guy beginner looking for advice.

Big guy beginner looking for advice.

So for the past couple years I've been kicking around the idea of finally buying a bike. For a month or so I've been browsing local Craigslist and Facebook sales groups looking for a good bike to start on. I rode dirt bikes years ago when I was a kid, and haven't been on a bike since then, save riding around on a friends dirt bike a year or so ago. (Like riding a bike.) I'm a big guy, been working on weight loss lately but I'm 6'2" 420lbs. Obviously I need a bike with enough to pull my hefty ass around, but not go overboard seeing as it's my first go.

My grandson is about your size and after taking the MSF Beginner Rider's Course and riding my wife's GZ250 a bit settled on my Honda Reflex 250 scooter. He's had it 3 years now and it's his daily transportation. Other than change the oil and going through tires pretty fast it's been bullet proof ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Big guy~ Get your training done first, before you go shopping for a bike.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Big guy~ Get your training done first, before you go shopping for a bike.
    And Norty is not just being a pedagogue. After actually riding a bike for a couple of days at the Beginner Riders Course you will have a much better idea of what is suitable for you.

My grandson was quite surprised how well the little 250s got around with him. (Daniel is actually heavier than you.) He rode a Yamaha 50cc scooter for a year after because that's all he could afford. When he would visit us he "borrowed" the GZ250 and the Reflex alternately until he expressed which he liked most and I birthdayed it to him.

I'm not suggesting you get a 250 ... but I think you're challenge will be ergonomic not engine size. But that can be remedied to a large extent by sit testing some bikes.

I have not heard a single newb or returnee say they are sorry they took the BRC or that it was a waste of money and many many express gratitude at having done so ...

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We refer to them as "Basic" rather than "Beginner". A lot of older riders never learned the basics, and a lot of them forget the basics. They might not be beginners, but they can still get something out of the BRC.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

I had full intentions on taking a course. Unfortunately all the courses are over an hour away from me, and are 2-3 days long. Signed up for a waitlist course that is this weekend at one of the bigger Harley dealers "nearby". Outside of doing it at that dealer the other courses in my area are full until the end of May/beginning of June, which is a bummer because that cuts out a full month of riding weather.

Did get to thinking it over some more last night, I had only been considering buying a cheap cheap used bike to learn on. Last night while browsing some sites I got the idea in my head to buy and make payments a new/newer bike from a dealer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    We refer to them as "Basic" rather than "Beginner". A lot of older riders never learned the basics, and a lot of them forget the basics. They might not be beginners, but they can still get something out of the BRC.
    I know that. The right word just didn't get from my head to the keyboard ... . OTOH I am forgetting words ... last night I could not remember the word "ineffable" to save my life ... I told my flight doc about my forgetting and he told me not to worry about it until I forget that I sometimes forget ...

I would have given a lot for the BRC back in 1974 ... we were awash with ignorance and "google" hadn't been invented yet for the "internet experts" ...

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    I had full intentions on taking a course. Unfortunately all the courses are over an hour away from me, and are 2-3 days long. Signed up for a waitlist course that is this weekend at one of the bigger Harley dealers "nearby". Outside of doing it at that dealer the other courses in my area are full until the end of May/beginning of June, which is a bummer because that cuts out a full month of riding weather.

Did get to thinking it over some more last night, I had only been considering buying a cheap cheap used bike to learn on. Last night while browsing some sites I got the idea in my head to buy and make payments a new/newer bike from a dealer instead.
    You're likely to drop your first bike, so I'd definitely go for used. With your dimensions, I'd look at a dual sport - after the class, of course.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    KLX650, BMWF700GS, BMWF650 Dakar and the like are mid-sized engines with taller ergos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum Gracin!!!!

*****reaches for dictionary to look up pedagogue***********
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.