Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 MotoGP ...

2017 MotoGP ...

We are into the 3rd race of the season at one of the most challenging and difficult tracks, Circuit of the Americas in Austin Texas. This track is always challenging but especially this year as apparently the Formula 1 cars have left it quite bumpy.

Maverick Vinahles, who switched from Suzuki to Yamaha, is the man on top so far this season, winning at both Qatar and Argentina. Marc Marquez can't be counted out because he has won 8 straight races in the US if you include Indianapolis and Laguna Seca. OTOH Marc crashed quite a bit in preseason practice and still looks a bit out of control to me. Valentino Rossi has podiumed the first 2 races and reported he was feeling good about his efforts at COTA so far. His former teammate and often rival, Jorge Lorenzo, is struggling at Ducati, very reminiscent of Rossi's time there. (Rossi has got to start qualifying better ... superb during the race ... but starting position is crimping his style ...)

The guy who has my attention is last years winner (and 2015 winner) of Moto2, Johann Zarco. Apparently he didn't read the part where new guys to MotoGP are supposed to spend time adapting to the MotoGP bikes ... his riding on a not factory ride has been phenomenal. If he were a stock ... I would invest heavily.

Free Practice for all 3 classes continue today with qualifying later. The weather forecast for tomorrow is good with temps expected in the low to mid 70s. It should be some great racing ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Once Marquez figures out the Honda's front end limits he should return to winning. If Vinales has enough of a lead by then, adding Marquez to the sharers of the top point finishes will mean that no one will be able to cross the gap to catch Vinales. Marc needs to learn from Cal. It looks like Cal may have a handle on things.

Believe me I am not counting Marc out. I have to remember that when he wins races ... he frequently looks out of control. I cannot think of a single racer has apparently crossed the edge of controllability ... and had a save. The remarkable thing about Marquez is how quickly he shakes off a near crash ... he goes into the next corner as fast as ever ...

What do you think of several riders comments that the apparently more flexible frame of the Yamaha is allowing them to take the corners faster considering the reported bumpy conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    Believe me I am not counting Marc out. I have to remember that when he wins races ... he frequently looks out of control. I cannot think of a single racer has apparently crossed the edge of controllability ... and had a save. The remarkable thing about Marquez is how quickly he shakes off a near crash ... he goes into the next corner as fast as ever ...

What do you think of several riders comments that the apparently more flexible frame of the Yamaha is allowing them to take the corners faster considering the reported bumpy conditions?

Do you remember Garry McCoy? His bike hardly ever pointed in the direction that he was traveling.

As for Yamaha, I recall a report from a decade or so ago where Jeremy Burgess was spotted in the back of the garage with a hacksaw, making cuts in Valentino's frame.

Yeah I remember McCoy, he was a lot of fun to watch race. If I remember right he had a bad crash that ended a season ... and the next year he just didn't seem to be the same ...

Man ... I already got my money's worth watching Q2 ...

Did you like Baz's save in Q1?
    I'm a fan, if for nothing else that he proves that tall riders can be competitive.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    There just so happens to be a sizable southern comfort Krewe contingent at COTA this weekend. Sadly Anna and I had to wave off from going due to work schedules. But I hope those guys are having fun.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shonuff View Post
    There just so happens to be a sizable southern comfort Krewe contingent at COTA this weekend. Sadly Anna and I had to wave off from going due to work schedules. But I hope those guys are having fun.
    18118875_1411999822179439_7326804913968821647_n.jpg
    What a rowdy looking bunch!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

One of these days I will make it to COTA for MotoGP. Great race! I'm a Marquez fan (since 125 days) so happy to see him win today. With Rossi doing better, Lorenzo not adapting well to the Ducati, and the likes of Viņales with 2 wins already, and Zarco trying to get into the mix, I think this is going to be one of the best MotoGP seasons in a while.
    Suzie
    '13 KLX 110L - "Kermit"
    '04 NSR 50
    GWA Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    Did you like Baz's save in Q1?
    I'm a fan, if for nothing else that he proves that tall riders can be competitive.
    I replayed it a dozen times. I don't think I've ever seen a bike-rider so far gone ... that recovered!

I thought Lorenzo showed real improvement. I can't help but be enthused by a rookie doing as well as Zarco. Glad to see Pedrosa off to a good start as well. And really I just enjoy good motorcycle racing ...

The outcome of this race certainly makes the Championship more interesting.

Have yet to watch Moto2 and 3 ...

I told myself last year I was going this year ... ... Got to go see it in person ... !