Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snell helmet recommendations

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I was thinking of the fixed external visors like they have on off-road helmets. I wonder why they are so common on off-road bike but rare on road bike. Perhaps speed.
    The fixed visor on off-road helmets is useful for sweeping (small) branches and other forms of plant life away from your face. Just tilt down and turn to the side.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    One thing I've noted from watching a lot of MotoGP (so jealous of "Prof HH" James and Deana at COTA this weekend) is how snug the rider's helmets fit is.
    A well fitted full coverage helmet should be pretty difficult to put on when it is new. Things will break in over time. If you can pull down on your chin bar and rotate the helmet below your forehead, or if you can rotate the helmet far enough to either side that you can slip more than your pinkie in between the helmet and the side of your forehead, your helmet is too loose to perform at its best. It is also probably not as comfortable as it could be.

Helmets have not only size to go by, but also shape. Some manufacturers make only one shape, if that does not match your head you will have to shop elsewhere. Other manufacurers build more than one shape, so try a different model. Webbikeworld has a few articles with good information on sizing and shaping. It only took me about 30 years to learn this, but now I have a super snug fitting helmet which I can wear all day long without any discomfort spots developing.

I was thinking of the fixed external visors like they have on off-road helmets. I wonder why they are so common on off-road bike but rare on road bike. Perhaps speed.
    Another thing the long visors are good for in Eastern riding is shading the eyes riding in and out of tree coverage. It can be quite blinding to go from the shadows of trees to bright sun on a gnarly trail. (The difference in tight wooded trails of the East and wide open trails of the West is also why bore bigger bikes tend to be popular in the West. I have never seen an XR650 on a Hatfield McCoy trail in WV and they are pretty common in AZ and CA)

You will generally see longer "bills" on pure offroad helmets than "dual sport" helmets for another reason ... at high speed road travel the relative wind "grabs" the longer bill and puts quite a twisting force on your neck.

I routinely wear my dual sport helmet riding my DRZ but frequently heading into the sun late in the day wish for a longer bill ....
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    I had a Bell MX-9 Adventure helmet with an adjustable bill/peak on it. When it was adjusted far enough forward to be useful as a sunshade then the drag was annoying, and vice versa.

I like the drop-down visor in my Scorpion helmet better than sunglasses mostly because I ride through a tunnel on the way to work. On a sunny day there is a very quick transition from bright to dark, no time to fiddle with sunglasses. Also I'm not very smart and lost my prescription sunglasses.

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    What is the benefit of a dark shield vs wearing sunglasses under a light shield?

I wear a prescription progressive bi-focal.

I also need to work out a better what to carry my walker.....
    You know I've never found a helmet/sunglasses combination I felt comfortable with. When riding spirited and doing head checks my glasses would always get twisted. It not only felt uncomfortable but was ginormously distracting. The Shoei "dark smoke" shield works brilliantly in all conditions except of course at night!

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    heading into the sun late in the day wish for a longer bill ....
    Come over to the BBO bar, I'll show you some long bills.........
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Helmets, like seats, can have "hot spots" regarding fitment.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    I'm curious as to whether Snell is your preference or the track's mandate.

I wouldn't pass up a helmet just because it didn't have the rating by Snell. It could be the manufacturer just didn't submit it for testing. (I think this has all been discussed above.)

I owned the Shoei Qwest for the past 6 years. I loved it, loved the fit, the graphics. Thought I would buy another one, but didn't. This time I bought the GT Air model. I love it more. Got the solid white, and had to replace the cheek pads with the thinner ones. After I did that, the thing fit me perfectly. No tight spots, no hot spots, and it doesn't move on my head at all. Completely cradles my noggin. It's lighter. It's quieter. It has the internal shade visor (which I keep forgetting to use).

The regular visor is harder to remove and replace than the Qwest. It's stiffer.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal LabRat View Post
    I'm curious as to whether Snell is your preference or the track's mandate.
    Yep, track's mandate. Otherwise, I would be perfectly happy using one of my modulars. I hate to spend a lot of money for something that might be a one-time deal, but I am curious to see how a more expensive helmet works in real life (that is, are they worth it?). I guess you never really know unless you crash it, but I'm not THAT curious!

I tried on some Arais at a local dealer and pretty much figured out fit (Vector 2). It's compatible with the exterior sunshade that Liberpolly mentioned and has a couple of green options.

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
    '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.