Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snell helmet recommendations

Flirting With The Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I have wondered if a helmet that fit me a little better would afford better protection or if it is just a comfort issue.

I am also considering a visor on my next helmet. Although, I wonder if the visor would interfere with the venting.
    Several years back I went to a local dealer who had a "helmet day" where representatives from various manufactures were available for questions and proper fit parameters. Unquestionably the one thread that connected all the rep's and manufacturers was how vital proper fit was to the ultimate performance and safety of a helmet. After measuring head size and determining noggin shape the reps would hand you a helmet from their line that corresponded to that measurement. In the case of Shoei and Arai both were a size smaller than I'd of ever picked on my own. That said however it's important to note that proper fit can be a completely separate matter than an uncomfortable hot spot. In other words a proper fit for safety and performance may give some that dreaded forehead hot spot and still remain protective. The trick of course is to get the proper fit (for safety) as well as a comfortable fit (for comfort). I'd bug your favorite dealer for a Saturday "helmet day". I know I walked away from that event surprised and ultimately better informed!

As far as drop down visors (internal or external) they've never done a thing for me. I thought it would be a great idea since in the winter months I leave in bright sun in the am and total darkness on the way home. Unfortunately the Scorpion I rode in (with a drop down) bugged me to no end. The visor didn't drop down far enough to be all encompassing and the line between visor and no visor was terribly distracting. My line of vision kept getting drawn to the point where the drop down visor stopped. I have the transitional shield for the Shoei which doesn't get dark enough for canyon rides but works fine for the morning plus evening commutes. The Shoei dark shield however is just fantastic and totally worth the minute or two it's takes to swap before a day run.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I liked the Scorpion with the drop down sunshade too, until I got my new Bell with the Transitions visor.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

06 Thruxton 900 "Crumpet" \ 08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    Several years back I went to a local dealer who had a "helmet day" where representatives from various manufactures were available for questions and proper fit parameters. Unquestionably the one thread that connected all the rep's and manufacturers was how vital proper fit was to the ultimate performance and safety of a helmet. After measuring head size and determining noggin shape the reps would hand you a helmet from their line that corresponded to that measurement. In the case of Shoei and Arai both were a size smaller than I'd of ever picked on my own. That said however it's important to note that proper fit can be a completely separate matter than an uncomfortable hot spot. In other words a proper fit for safety and performance may give some that dreaded forehead hot spot and still remain protective. The trick of course is to get the proper fit (for safety) as well as a comfortable fit (for comfort). I'd bug your favorite dealer for a Saturday "helmet day". I know I walked away from that event surprised and ultimately better informed!

As far as drop down visors (internal or external) they've never done a thing for me. I thought it would be a great idea since in the winter months I leave in bright sun in the am and total darkness on the way home. Unfortunately the Scorpion I rode in (with a drop down) bugged me to no end. The visor didn't drop down far enough to be all encompassing and the line between visor and no visor was terribly distracting. My line of vision kept getting drawn to the point where the drop down visor stopped. I have the transitional shield for the Shoei which doesn't get dark enough for canyon rides but works fine for the morning plus evening commutes. The Shoei dark shield however is just fantastic and totally worth the minute or two it's takes to swap before a day run.
    Interesting...will have to look out for these helmet days to see if I can attend one.

The last helmet I bought was one of the newer Scorpion ones....R1000 I think???. Anyway it is marketed as a "race" helmet, whatever that means. I'm normally a large size but I really struggled to get that on in the shop. Tried the XL and it seemed perfect. They didn't have an XL in white so they ordered one for me and a few days later I pick up the box and take it home. Open it up to find they actually ordered a L. I don't want the hassle of returning it so I try to see if I can live with the L. Turns out it is a perfect fit. Seems like a "race" helmet has a tighter opening so it's harder to get on, but that's something you soon adjust to. Turned out I got the perfect helmet for me despite my "better" judgement!

Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    My Arai:

It has *external* sunshade, which I guess helped with the rating.
    Which helmet model do you have? And is this the standard shade or the longer one?

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2")
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics could care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Lori View Post
    Which helmet model do you have? And is this the standard shade or the longer one?
    Arai Signet-Q, standard shape. Honestly, the best helmet I've ever tried. My Scorpion and Shoei are gathering dust now...
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

In the case of Shoei and Arai both were a size smaller than I'd of ever picked on my own. That said however it's important to note that proper fit can be a completely separate matter than an uncomfortable hot spot. In other words a proper fit for safety and performance may give some that dreaded forehead hot spot and still remain protective. The trick of course is to get the proper fit (for safety) as well as a comfortable fit (for comfort). I'd bug your favorite dealer for a Saturday "helmet day". I know I walked away from that event surprised and ultimately better informed!
    One thing I've noted from watching a lot of MotoGP (so jealous of "Prof HH" James and Deana at COTA this weekend) is how snug the rider's helmets fit is. I used to wear my helmets that way and then I must have gotten more into comfort. My oldest son and I have always worn the same size helmet and I noticed my last visit (he got a new used K1200 he insisted I ride for a couple of days...) that where we have the same model helmet, his are a size smaller.

My "go to" helmet is a Shoei Neotec ... I just like the flip open feature for long rides ... and the inside visor is nice but it is probablt 1 size bigger than it should be. I have Bell w/ transition for when we want helmet communication (Gigi and I find this ... nice but not necessary) and I have a snug Scorpion for trackdays. ... and a Shoei RF 1200 that is very comfortable ... and probably a size to large ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    As far as drop down visors (internal or external) they've never done a thing for me.
    I was thinking of the fixed external visors like they have on off-road helmets. I wonder why they are so common on off-road bike but rare on road bike. Perhaps speed.

I have the transitional shield for the Shoei which doesn't get dark enough for canyon rides but works fine for the morning plus evening commutes. The Shoei dark shield however is just fantastic and totally worth the minute or two it's takes to swap before a day run.
    I have the same experience with my transitional shield. It is not dark enough. But I wear sunglasses under my helmet. What is the benefit of a dark shield vs wearing sunglasses under a light shield?

I wear a prescription progressive bi-focal.

I also need to work out a better what to carry my walker.....

*****snickers****** "Youngster!"

I've had problems in the past with wearing prescription sunglasses with a visor. I had some sort of rainbow from the polarization aspect of the two lenses in tandem.

Or I'm having flashbacks of the '60's. Tough to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wear my transitions bifocals with my transitions visor. One makes up for the other if it's not dark enough. No psychedelic 60's polarization (moire patterns) ever.

Visors are more common on offroad and dual sport ADV helmets because the speeds are slower. On a highway the visors want to rip your head off unless you're facing forward, or the newer designs manage airflow a bit better.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

06 Thruxton 900 "Crumpet" \ 08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    One thing I've noted from watching a lot of MotoGP (so jealous of "Prof HH" James and Deana at COTA this weekend) is how snug the rider's helmets fit is. I used to wear my helmets that way and then I must have gotten more into comfort. My oldest son and I have always worn the same size helmet and I noticed my last visit (he got a new used K1200 he insisted I ride for a couple of days...) that where we have the same model helmet, his are a size smaller.

My "go to" helmet is a Shoei Neotec ... I just like the flip open feature for long rides ... and the inside visor is nice but it is probablt 1 size bigger than it should be. I have Bell w/ transition for when we want helmet communication (Gigi and I find this ... nice but not necessary) and I have a snug Scorpion for trackdays. ... and a Shoei RF 1200 that is very comfortable ... and probably a size to large ...
    I would have LOVED to have made it down to Austin this week! If Vinales puts another feather in his cap this weekend it really is gonna change the topography of MotoGp this year. Team Ducati so battered and bruised and you wonder if anyone can figure out how to tame that bike. Marquez continues to leap outta the gates like a bull in a china shop with his "do or die trying" style. Rossi still the master but you wonder at his age how hard it must be to keep up with REALLY fast 22 year old's.

Back to helmets however Yes the Arai and Shoei reps had promo stuff about their MotoGp and Isle of Man riders and the topic of really tight fit was mentioned often although I do wonder if the Isle of Man guys really need helmets at all I know Guy Martin usually laughs at questions about protective gear. In the end it appears the logistics of a properly fitted helmet are fairly sophisticated and the exact why's and how come's are above my pay grade. As a side note both Arai and Shoei (more so Arai) were vocal about dispelling the long standing wives takes about a dropped helmet being render ineffective. Generally speaking a dropped helmet from (say the height of a motorcycle seat) is not immediately ruined. Both manufactures however mentioned if you're unfortunate enough to fall (even at a stand still) and your helmet hits solid ground with your noggin still in it, it needs to go back to the factory for evaluation.