Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snell helmet recommendations

Snell helmet recommendations

I'll need to get a Snell-approved helmet before I go to track school. A drop-down sun visor is a must and it has to come in green! I wear a medium in Nolan, Speed and Strength, and HJC, so that's the size and shape of my head. Any recommendations?

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2")
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics could care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    I could not think of any internal-visored, Snell approved, helmets, so I asked Google and found this: "Helmets with built in, flip down sun visors, have not been submitted by manufacturers to be tested."

That is simlar to the situation with flip-up helmets. I frequently hear all sorts of reasons why Snell "won't approve" flip-ups, but every time I attend a national safety conference, Snell's representatives state that they've never failed a flip-up as none have ever been submitted.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I have heard the same thing. It would seem to me that manufacturers know the tests, have done them themselves and they know what will pass and what will not and will not submit for testing something they know will fail.

It make sense to me that the space created by the internal visor would compromise the ability of that portion of the helmet to absorb impact.

My kids both have internal visors on their helmets. I wear sunglasses under mine. I also have a photo sensitive visor, but it does not do much. I still need to wear sunglasses.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    All of the helmet companies do their own DOT compliance testing, largely through Head Protection Research Lab. in California, so I'd agree that they know if their product would pass Snell's tests.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would suspect the biggest issue with Snell is the double-strike requirement, when applied to the areas without padding to make room for the inside visor mechanism. While these areas can meet the single-strike standard DOT uses, hit it twice and bad things might happen.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Warning! Use of this ingredient in ways not listed on the package is called 'cooking'. Do so at your own risk!"

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

OK, if I have to give up the sunshade, what recommendations do you have?

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2")
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics could care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Flirting With The Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Lori View Post
    OK, if I have to give up the sunshade, what recommendations do you have?
    Both Shoei and Arai (at least in the very recent past) have Ninja green color schemes. Arai has done a pretty good job, of recent, making helmets that cover every head shape usually defined by the particular models. Shoei has always maintained a more neutral head shape and unless it's an extreme case fits most head shapes safely and comfortably. Most helmets in both lines are ECE, Snell and DOT.

I dunno if the Shoei RF1200 has a Ninja color scheme but if so that'd be my recommendation. The RF1200 remains my singular and all time favorite helmet as it covers all bases so darn well. My Arai Defiant a close second. The only real difference between the two, the Arai vents better and for whatever reason feels lighter (it's not) but feels that way. I like the Arai face shield mechanism better than the Shoei but the Shoei face shield is much easier to put on and take off. The Shoei quieter and is overall a bit more comfortable fit, that is once I get my big ears un-pinned.

Like I mentioned....Shoei RF1200 for the win by the slightest of margins

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Minus the drop down sunshade, HJC, Shoei and Arai have some Snell rated full face in ninja green colors. https://www.revzilla.com/full-face-m...cets%5B%5D=232
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    My Arai:

It has *external* sunshade, which I guess helped with the rating.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I like my Shoei SP 1200 too, but it is the only helmet I have owned recently so I do not have a basis for comparison. My only complaint was that there was a pressure point on my forehead when I first got it. As the internal padding has broken in, that pressure point has gone away, but I think the shape is a neutral shape as Joseph Hanna said. I think my head is more of an oblong shape. Therefore, I am going to look for a helmet that fits that shape better for my next one. But if I cannot find one, another SP 1200 would be good enough.

I have wondered if a helmet that fit me a little better would afford better protection or if it is just a comfort issue.

I am also considering a visor on my next helmet. Although, I wonder if the visor would interfere with the venting.