Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Electric Bike I'm Actually Excited About...

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I rode a Zero DS one time. Fine if you like a golf cart on two wheels. I can see riding one on bike paths and hilly areas for short rides, maybe the local BMX track for some fun, but limited range means you can't really use it any distance from a charge facility.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    That is a good point. I like things that look like what they are.

We have fake shutters on our house. They are not even good fakes. They are not the right size to cover the windows if they were real. I think they are stupid. They are wood and were starting to rot so when we had the house painted we had them all removed. Now the windows look naked. So we are having new fake shutter made and put up. And they will not be the right size. Since big stupid fake shutters look even worse than small stupid fake shutters.

Reminds me of decorative plates that are so ornate you cannot even eat off them.

And how did living rooms become rooms that you decorate but never use and everybody hangs out in the family room? What's up with that? Aren't you supposed to "live" in the "living" room?

But it is still a cool looking bike.
    This post cracked me up!!!! LOL! The older you get, the more functionality you expect!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    For heaven's sake, libberpolly, tells us what you really think ...

I rode a Zero when I was out West this year and it would be a great commuter bike.

I also rode a hardtail xs650 last year out West .... no thanks to any more of that ... The guy who owned it really loved it but I noticed he didn't"t go on the longer rides ...
    I loved Zero for city commute! (I still like the sound of real engine, though).

But his abomination? Nope.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

The Des Moines Police Dept. got rid of all of its Harleys (which were pretty much just used for parades or if the President came to town) and invested in a Zero. They got the upgraded battery and quick charger for it. I think the total investment was less than $20K, even after adding all the lights, radios, etc. Des Moines has a huge bicycle trail network so they wanted to be able to patrol that, plus use it at the state fair and large events, such as the July 4th event on the state capitol grounds which draws 100,000 people. After they got it, they took it out on an eight-hour shift, riding a mix of residential streets, arterials, freeways, and the trail system. They put around 70 miles on it and had plenty of battery life left. I can't remember how fast the quick charger was, but it was quick, I guess. Another plus is that it's "green", so that helped the City Fathers get behind it. They've been really happy with it, and it's affectionately known as "The Moped".

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
    '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One has to wonder how much quicker lights, sirens, and radios sap the power source versus conventional riding.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another plus for LEO using the Zero - stealth capability. Can sneak up on unsavory types.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Oh crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eek!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    One has to wonder how much quicker lights, sirens, and radios sap the power source versus conventional riding.
    A conventional H4 bulb draws 60W on high beam. A Zero S with the smallest battery has 5.7 kWh, so you could run that light for 95 hours. They probably run more lights on a police bike, but they're probably also LEDs which draw about 1/4 the power, so it likely all cancels out. I don't know how much the radio draws, but assuming it's of the same order of magnitude then overall power consumption of bells and whistles looks negligible.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Definitely LEDs.

Why am I reminded of the alarm in A Fist Full of Yen?
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    If it had a real seat, I think I would actually ride it. I'm not a cruiser person by any means, but I love the simplicity of this one. I wonder what is in the "tank" besides air? That seems like a really good place to hide electronics, or even a frunk.
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...